E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I have been following Mangos guide on how to bleed
It is not a reliable bleeding method.

after changing expansion tank job I did not bleed it properly because I couldnt get the upper hose to fill with coolant.
The upper hose is seating higher than the ET coolant level, and so you will never be able to fill it up until you run the engine. This is why I don't like the Mango method. I run the engine during bleeding coolant.
i should have brought the car up to temp before bleeding.
Don't do this, as if you run the engine to operating temperature with the tank cap opened then there is a chance the coolant boiling in the head and causing damage. But if you run engine with cap closed then you cannot open the cap (as the BMW label says "Attention do not open the cap when hot".
Causing the upper hose to pop off and shoot the coolant all over the hot engine bay.
How could the hose pop off? It is impossible with the metal locking clip in place, unless the hose connector broke off.
through my efforts today I got the hose on pretty well. kept bleeder and top off while I filled coolant. realized the thermostat needed to be warmed again after the pressure popped.
I believe I will be able to bleed it the correct way in the morning considering I got it up to operating temp and circulated coolant.
sorry if this is confusing I am high and can clarify in a couple hours. Thanks.
It seems to be a drama doing the coolant bleeding, and it shouldn't.
you can try my method as it has not failed yet for me and some others who had tried.

1) engine cold, car head up on slope driveway or flat ground level is fine.
2) remove bleeder and tank cap, fill coolant to the MAX marker on the tank using the popper rod as indicator. Do not fill up to top of tank.
3) close the bleeder and screw the tank cap by one turn to avoid coolant shooting out later when running the engine.
4) Set heater to hot and fan low, run engine at idle, then rev it up to about 2500 RPM a few times to push out any air pockets into the upper hose. Important: Do not let engine running more than 7 minutes total while the tank cap is not closed, to avoid damaging the cylinder head. Keep engine idling.
5) Crack open the bleeder to let air out and close it when no more air bubbles. Top off the tank to MAX marker. Close the tank cap.
6) Test drive and check for having heated air in cabin. Done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It is not a reliable bleeding method.

The upper hose is seating higher than the ET coolant level, and so you will never be able to fill it up until you run the engine. This is why I don't like the Mango method. I run the engine during bleeding coolant.

Don't do this, as if you run the engine to operating temperature with the tank cap opened then there is a chance the coolant boiling in the head and causing damage. But if you run engine with cap closed then you cannot open the cap (as the BMW label says "Attention do not open the cap when hot".

How could the hose pop off? It is impossible with the metal locking clip in place, unless the hose connector broke off.

It seems to be a drama doing the coolant bleeding, and it shouldn't.
you can try my method as it has not failed yet for me and some others who had tried.

1) engine cold, car head up on slope driveway or flat ground level is fine.
2) remove bleeder and tank cap, fill coolant to the MAX marker on the tank using the popper rod as indicator. Do not fill up to top of tank.
3) close the bleeder and screw the tank cap by one turn to avoid coolant shooting out later when running the engine.
4) Set heater to hot and fan low, run engine at idle, then rev it up to about 2500 RPM a few times to push out any air pockets into the upper hose. Important: Do not let engine running more than 7 minutes total while the tank cap is not closed, to avoid damaging the cylinder head. Keep engine idling.
5) Crack open the bleeder to let air out and close it when no more air bubbles. Top off the tank to MAX marker. Close the tank cap.
6) Test drive and check for having heated air in cabin. Done.
jeeze Ive seen this method before. Im just gonna do it this way. Theres so much paranoia about opening the bleeder with the car on. Thank you

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Theres so much paranoia about opening the bleeder with the car on.
Just crack open the bleeder for air out while engine running and it's fine, but completely removed the bleeder with engine running is not.
What could go wrong with the bleeder crack opened for air out while engine running?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just crack open the bleeder for air out while engine running and it's fine, but completely removed the bleeder with engine running is not.
What could go wrong with the bleeder crack opened for air out while engine running?
I mean for sure the risk of a full blown coolant wave, just until a steady stream then wait 5 seconds or so then close. Then close everything

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey did your method and there was still no coolant in the upper hose , do I fill, to max let it go cold and try again, not sure what Im missing but still no heat in the cabin ( to be fair its always been cold and requires me to be driving to have heat). Anyways still no coolant in ill bleed out of the hole its like theres nothing there. Practically had the bleeder off and still nothing.

any ideas what could be causing it?

·
Premium Member
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2001 325Ci
220 Posts
Hey did your method and there was still no coolant in the upper hose , do I fill, to max let it go cold and try again, not sure what Im missing but still no heat in the cabin ( to be fair its always been cold and requires me to be driving to have heat). Anyways still no coolant in ill bleed out of the hole its like theres nothing there. Practically had the bleeder off and still nothing.

any ideas what could be causing it?
Maybe a back flush on your heater pipes going to firewall, work for me, was really stopped up

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Maybe a back flush on your heater pipes going to firewall, work for me, was really stopped up
would an air pocket in the heater core cause that hose not to fill? Hit 2500 rpms, I would of assumed coolant was being pushed through. WP is fine. Maybe just not enough coolant yet and I need to keep bleeding. Im going to try to backflush those hoses. Seems like the next best step to get air out of the system and potentially sludge?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Hitting 2500 rpm may not do mush, thermostat has a bypass weep hole, if you leave rear of car down an jack front up high as you can, start adding fluid slowly with bleed open, when it get slow going somehow get pressure on filler till liquid come out of bleeder while adding coolant as needed. I used my mouth an blew a few times, maybe cut piece of a used return hose, works for me every time. Make sure your heater core passes fluid as well. A drive that get temp up to noon on the dash will get the rest, always leave some expansion space in ET

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Hitting 2500 rpm may not do mush, thermostat has a bypass weep hole, if you leave rear of car down an jack front up high as you can, start adding fluid slowly with bleed open, when it get slow going somehow get pressure on filler till liquid come out of bleeder while adding coolant as needed. I used my mouth an blew a few times, maybe cut piece of a used return hose, works for me every time. Make sure your heater core passes fluid as well. A drive that get temp up to noon on the dash will get the rest, always leave some expansion space in ET
If the pee hole just inside the filler is working not clogged then your water pump is not caveating when your give it some revs an the then system should be good. good luck

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
even the newer BMW sixes with electric water pumps works the same, after pump r& r on those you add fluid till pees out at filler neck, a program activates water pump temporary
If the pee hole just inside the filler is working not clogged then your water pump is not caveating when your give it some revs an the then system should be good. good luck
even on the newer bimmers with electric pumps works same way to top off coolant, program activates pump temporary. will you add coolant tilt pees out at filler

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Hey did your method and there was still no coolant in the upper hose
What you say not making sense: with engine running and if the bleeder is opened or removed, coolant will flow out and this is fact unless there is no water pump. When you cracked open the bleeder did you see coolant flowing out after the air had gone? If you saw coolant flow out this means the upper had filled up.
This has nothing to do with the state of the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
may way has always work great, we are talk cold engine fill as I maybe not being really clear but read between the lines an it will work

·
Registered
2001 330i (5-speed)
2,636 Posts
Hilarious this bleed procedure STILL has not been agreed upon.
5 years ago, every expert was saying the ENTIRE bleed procedure is done with ENGINE OFF.
Clearly, half the people have no clue what they are talking about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
There is a lot of misinformation and lack of understanding. And the bad grammar/spelling in this thread does not help.
Working on your own car is not for everyone.
sorry, english is not my native written language. Ive always love the e46 and want to learn to care for it. I am taking her to car tender for a professional eye on this. Hopefully I’ll get an accurate solution from a professional who does know what hes talking about. I am grateful for all the help you guys have been.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What you say not making sense: with engine running and if the bleeder is opened or removed, coolant will flow out and this is fact unless there is no water pump. When you cracked open the bleeder did you see coolant flowing out after the air had gone? If you saw coolant flow out this means the upper had filled up.
This has nothing to do with the state of the thermostat.
after running my engine no. Did the whole bleed procedure down to the T. No coolant was built up. Changed the water pump last year after the impeller broke.Very easy job. Im gonna keep trying to bleed it, im sure there are still air pockets within the system.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts