BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cut to the chase... I am doing a Valve cover gasket change and vanos seals repair and everything was going perfectly until I started putting it all back together. I was reinstalling the vanos to the head, and while tightening it down, one of the post bolts snapped at about 3 ft lb. They should be tightened to 6 :(. It's the one up on the front right under the intake side.

What is the best course of action here. I'm trying to find the part number for these things, but they really are just dowel screws, and while I haven't really tried to get the thing out of the head, my cursory attempt wasn't good. It's in there with at least lock-tite and there isnt anything to get a hold of it.

Any advice or help would be great. Im not freaking out... yet. Thanks

edit: Here is a reference picture from Beisan Systems awesome DIY

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
that sucks =/

same as any sheared bolt tho, try bolt extractor and if that doesn't work get a helicoil set and drill it out.

If you can't find those threaded studs local you can get them at mcmaster.com and have it there on tuesday morning. You might have to get a long piece of threaded rod and cut it down. If its something common like M6 you can get some long bolts at lowes and turn them into studs...

·
Registered
504 Posts
google "broken stud removal" or "broken bolt removal" there is a way to drill a whole into it so a special bit can get a grip. If you can't get it out the alternative is to frill it out and do a HeliCoil thread replacement or tap it and use a bolt.

You could probably put some rtv in the area and reassemble without it and probablt not have an issue. The worse that could happen is an oil leak you coould go back and fix.

One tip I use when I know to go easy is to hold the wrench with only two fingers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem Solved... After a lot of liquid wrench and some overly tight vice grips it finally broke free and I unscrewed it. A new threaded rod was made from a bolt of the same size and thread (M6 1.0) trimmed with a metal saw. All back together now and started with no codes or leaks, that I know of...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts