BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I test drove a 2003 M, carbon black, black interior, SMG, the car has 66K and the dealer want's $23,000, the car pulled strong fast as hell, it also has an upgrated NAV with a killer sound system, what do you guys think should I pull the trigger:D

Also as I was leaving the lot the sales guy said they just got another BMW in on a trade that I might like, so we walked to the detail shop and he pointed to a 2004 330i ZHP that was dirty as hell, so i took it for a spin, and I must say that 330i handles like a go kart, I had just drove the M so the 330i felt slugish but DAMN I swear that 330i suspension was way better than the M, so I looked to see what suspension set up it had and it was bone stock! Why would a 330i ZHP feel better than an M around the twisties????:read:

·
Registered
852 Posts
The M would still smoke check that 330i...

What's KBB?
If they're asking 23... I'd say I'll give you 20, or something like that. You gotta barter, I'm sure you can get them down.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The ZHP is a good platform. The suspension components in the M3 could be worn.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
The ZHP suspension is nothing to sneeze at. I'd say handling wise it's on par with an M3. Taking into account potential differences in maintenance and the ZHP's lighter weight, it wouldnt surprise me too much that some ZHPs handle better than some M3s. In fact, back when I had a ZHP, my friend was thinking about buying an M3, but the one he drove was less fun than my ZHP to him. He eventually bought an STi. I later bought my current m3, and my friend basically said something to the effect like "god damn, had I known this is what an M3 is supposed to drive like, I definitely would've gotten one instead of the STi."

Two M3s can feel very different based on the state of their suspension. With that said, the ZHP steering feel is definitely better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not getting the M is no big deal right now. Wait a little while till you see an M3 on the street, you will think damn I should have gotten the M. They have great suspension as is but doing little tweaks and upgrades will stop you from thinking about that ZHP very quickly. Don't get me wrong, great car, but not an M.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not getting the M is no big deal right now. Wait a little while till you see an M3 on the street, you will think damn I should have gotten the M. They have great suspension as is but doing little tweaks and upgrades will stop you from thinking about that ZHP very quickly. Don't get me wrong, great car, but not an M.
Still want an M though;) I did not know the ZHP had a suspension set up like that so I just wanted you guys's input on why it felt so much better than the M. I drove a regular 330i before and it was just okay the ZHP is definetly a nice drving car!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would get the M more Wow factor. I picked up a 2003 this year. Great car. Your suspension may need a few bushings and such. Get an independent suspension. What ever it needs, deduct that from your offer and get the work done when you drive it off the lot.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is soo true. I had a ZHP for a year and a half. Great car, great handling.
But every time I saw an M I wanted one. In the end I had to sell it to get the M3. You won´t regret it. You will if you get the ZHP. Try an M3 with the competition package (ZCP) and you will be even more convinced. :thumbup:

·
Registered
0 Posts
The dealer profit margins on used cars are WAY higher than on new. Everyone knows how much a dealer pays for a new car, including dealer holdbacks, etc...but used? only the dealer and the person they got it from know. There's a HUGE profit margin in used vehicles. Don't be afraid of offending the dealer! IF KBB is 23k, I'd offer them 18k. All they can say is NO and counter you, and then you counter their counter! It's all a big game!
BTW: My '05 M3 convertible w/smg is for sale...it's on the for sale forum here for 21.5 ( I think!).
I'll take 19.5k FIRM...83k miles...in very, very nice condition!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts