E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember when those things were ALL the rage before...:eeps:

But I don't see any more jibber jabber about them anymore...all I hear is Benfer, GruppeM, Dinan...etc

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love my ECIS cai. Why wouldn't I?

·
Nymphomaniac
264 Posts
Yup I'm happy with my ECIS..

GruppeM is nice but too much for an intake.

Benfer and Dinan, not too crazy about having the filter down behind the bumper.

·
www.xeetstreetband.com
725 Posts
djbmw said:

How is it not a real CAI?
A 'Cold Air' Intake takes cold air from outside of the engine bay usually from behind/underneith the bumber; these are usually the long tube intakes (Benfer, Dinan). In the case of GroupeM, cold air is obtained through isolating a source from the front of the car.

The ECIS is niether of these styles. It essentially sucks air from within the hot confines of the engine bay. Therefore it is not a true CAI.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually, it brings air in from the kidney grills and isolates it with a heat shield. Therefore, I would consider my ECIS to be a CAI.

·
Track it
806 Posts
How much does the ecis system cost....what are its benefits on the three liter? Is it behind the bumper?....anyone have any pics of it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd be glad to post pics tomm.

·
Registered
464 Posts
JesseM said:
I remember when those things were ALL the rage before...:eeps:

But I don't see any more jibber jabber about them anymore...all I hear is Benfer, GruppeM, Dinan...etc
A lot of people like the Carbon/Kevlar styling of the GruppeM intake. It looks a lot different from the conventional intakes. With the BenFer intake, it's really affordable and it works just as good as the Dinan. I haven't heard much about Dinan ever since they stopped making their CF intake.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I love my ECIS CAI from the first day. There is a heat shield with the kit to isolate the engine heat from the air intake. I installed mine a little differently than the instruction, just so that i have more of an open area around the air filter, so that it will be more freely to suck air in. As in for the GrupM, i still don't understand how you can suck air in if the inlet of it is right behind the head light??? Doesn't that kinda kill the flow???.... .Dinan is awesome, but i might have to deal with water getting into it. Basically, this is my personal opinion. You can either love it or leave it. No hating though....

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
XeetBMW330ci said:
The ECIS is niether of these styles. It essentially sucks air from within the hot confines of the engine bay. Therefore it is not a true CAI.
Not true. With the hood closed the air filter is virtually sealed from the rest of the engine bay and cool air from the kidney grille area is drawn.

Here's a picture of the Conforti, which has similar design as the ECIS.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts