E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the car about 2 months ago and noticed some drips of oil on the garage floor a few weeks ago under the very front of the car on the drivers side and didn't really think anything about it because we just moved into the house. Today I noticed there is twice as many drips on the floor. Now I'm sure their is definitely a slow leak coming from the car. Any ideas where I should begin to look or what it could be?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Valve cover gasket. Oil filter housing gasket. CCV crank case vent valve has gone bad or hoses attached have cracked.

From the location you're seeing oil it could be any of these things. Do a search with each.

·
Vendor
10,577 Posts
They are more time consuming that difficult fixes. I grabbed a few DIY to help you get an idea of whats involved on each of those projects.

HERE is a DIY on the Valve Cover Gasket.
HERE is a link to info on the oil housing gasket.
HERE is a great DIY on the CCV

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Itis not fun, and you have to remove a fair amount of stuff to get to it all (I am sure others will argue with this point, but you do have to remove things other than the parts you are changing), but it is well within the capabilities of a DIY'er. But if this is your daily driver, you should plan this out carefully, making sure you have all of your parts on hand, and leave double the amount of time you expect it to take. If you don't generally work on your car, this can take a long time.
But first, you need to do some investigation. Mango is not a car psychic. This can be any number of things he did not mention, form a valve cover gasket, Vanos Oil line, transmission oil cooler, steering rack, CCV system, or any number of other things. While the location would seem to indicate certain things, it could also just be the spot where the oil managed to leak out. It is possible that it is from somewhere else. You have to look closely, since there is no simple answer. There are high percentage guesses, which is what Mango made, but don't take that as a diagnosis, unless you like to spend money on parts you may not need.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Itis not fun, and you have to remove a fair amount of stuff to get to it all (I am sure others will argue with this point, but you do have to remove things other than the parts you are changing), but it is well within the capabilities of a DIY'er. But if this is your daily driver, you should plan this out carefully, making sure you have all of your parts on hand, and leave double the amount of time you expect it to take. If you don't generally work on your car, this can take a long time.
But first, you need to do some investigation. Mango is not a car psychic. This can be any number of things he did not mention, form a valve cover gasket, Vanos Oil line, transmission oil cooler, steering rack, CCV system, or any number of other things. While the location would seem to indicate certain things, it could also just be the spot where the oil managed to leak out. It is possible that it is from somewhere else. You have to look closely, since there is no simple answer. There are high percentage guesses, which is what Mango made, but don't take that as a diagnosis, unless you like to spend money on parts you may not need.
I plan on getting under the car before throwing parts at it blindly. Just trying to get an idea where to look.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
When it comes to seals/leaks, etc, I highly recommend throwing parts at it blindly. Within reason of course. If you're tearing down an area, replace things while you can. If you don't replace little things while you're in there, then you'll just be back getting dirty again and wasting your time. I made the mistake of NOT replacing the vanos oil line (simply because I forgot) but thankfully I'm sure I can replace that without getting too deep. I did replace the vanos oil line washers though.

As for difficulty. It's pretty time-consuming. Prepare to dirty yourself.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I plan on getting under the car before throwing parts at it blindly. Just trying to get an idea where to look.
I really did not mean to imply you were going to throw parts at it blindly. I got a little concerned, because you were asking about the difficulty of the repairs Mango suggested. It would not be the first time that a person started ordering parts based on someone's quickie diagnosis on this forum. It does actually happen. That was my only concern.
You can read a lot of posts, and I highly reccomend doing so. But at some point, you have to stick your head in there and look around.
I also meant no offense to Mango. He is a smart guy. But there are a lot of very inexperienced and gullible people that post questions on here, and when someone gives them an answer that sounds like a dead on diagnosis, rather than an educated guess, they may act on that answer, rather than doing a real diagnosis. It is a combination of laziness and gullibility. That is why I try to respond in a way that tells them to investigate and research before picking up a wrench and buying parts.
So, I was not trying to offend you or Mango. I have no idea what your skill levels are, so I was just trying to make sure you understood that this was not a simple diagnosis.

@Mango - you know there are children playing on here, and they may take what you say a definite diagnosis. I was not trying to say you were wrong, I was trying to make sure the OP was not a first time DIY type, who would take your diagnosis and run with it. I have seen it happen on here, so I was just covering all the bases. I blame dmax for making me this way. No offense to you. Your diagnosis is a good one, and may be spot on.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,649 Posts
MJ! How am I to blame? :lmao:

Did Mango tell him to replace cooling system again? :lmao:

Someone did tell you to clean things up and look, right? XL50/inspection mirror.

Also, an oil leak isn't a reason to worry too much...it just means you're a bad person, not that there's any issue with the car! Monitor oil loss, replenish as needed...but a dripping can continue a while in many cases...and give you time to study diys until you're dizzy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.