BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 01 325i sedan non sport, i want to upgrade my suspension. i was thinking of geting an h&r cup kit, i dont want to worry about the rear rubbing because of passengers or other things that might way down the back. i will probly not get giant rims, and just stick with 16's or 17's. do you think the cup kit combined with some sway bars and anti roll bars would do the trick? i am open to any of your opinions/sugestions!

Drew

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
It'll do the trick, but 18's FTW. they will work perfect (8.5 of curz) and 35+ offset.
why 18's? you will fill the gap, but the car will be like 1/2 inch higher off the ground than 17's

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
spend the extra cash and pick up some coilovers... then you can adjust the ride height and comfort levels... i love it as i could tune it really tight if i tracked the car (which i don't), can leave it high and comfy for city driving, and then drop it down SUPER LOW for shows.

Bilstein PSS9s FTW

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It'll do the trick, but 18's FTW. they will work perfect (8.5 of curz) and 35+ offset.
why 18's? you will fill the gap, but the car will be like 1/2 inch higher off the ground than 17's
i would like 18's, but will that make me loose the practicallity of a sedan? i still want to be able to have people in the back and not have to worry about rubbing. maybe i dont have a full grasp on the concept of rubbing. all i know is i dont want there to be any problems like that.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
i have stock 18s now on my '02 330i ZSP / ZPP...it wont lose any practicality...of course coilovers would be a superb investment, but yer looking at 1200.00 minimum usually. im personally against the cup kit cuz i heard it drops it a lot and i dont want my bimmer slammed. so i prefer the eibach / koni pro kit. less drop but it looks dope and its quality.

but to answer yer question...a cup kit, sways, and strut will be a DARN GOOD investment and you will love every second of it.

oh and get 18s. search for the thread "Do 17 inch wheels really look that bad?"...it has good info if you want 17s still...but get 18s man.

good luck and post pics sooN!

·
Banned
885 Posts
KW coilovers is our suggestion if you are willing to spend the extra money. Email [email protected] for a price or myself [email protected]

If a cup kit is what you really want then we have a great special price of $679 shipped in the continental US.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
i have a 01 325i sedan non sport, i want to upgrade my suspension. i was thinking of geting an h&r cup kit, i dont want to worry about the rear rubbing because of passengers or other things that might way down the back. i will probly not get giant rims, and just stick with 16's or 17's. do you think the cup kit combined with some sway bars and anti roll bars would do the trick? i am open to any of your opinions/sugestions!

Drew
BimmerPirate...

I had the same question earlier this year for my alpine white 328i.
After 1001 hrs doing research, I somehow decided to go through with the
H&R's sport cupkit and sways.
I'm currently awaiting the backorder on the cupkit
but the sways on their own do a good job.
I have a sedan as well, the question should be 18's or 19's hahaha. :str8pimpi
I'm going with 18's lightweight in the spring
One that would have a weight in comparison to my sucky 16's now. :tsk:

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Dude, unless the wheels you're running are 9.5"+ with an offset of 35mm+, and you're running a 265+ width tire in the rear, you have no worries about rubbing with a 16-18" wheel. With stock 16's or 17's you really don't have a chance of rubbing no matter what you do. Worst case scenario, your wheels have too high of an offset and you rub on the INSIDE or against the strut, in which case you get 10mm or 15mm spacers.

In other words, you're being paranoid. haha

An H&R Sport Cupkit would work great with what you're looking for.

and as a form of encouragement - I literally can't fit a credit card between my fender and tire when the car is at a standstill, and I don't rub, even with 5 people and two dogs in the car, including about 50lbs of audio stuff in the trunk. This would be why you really shouldn't worry about it with stock wheels.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone for the advice, i figured i was just being parinoid but, i just wanted to do some research. the h&r cup kit sounds about right for me, for now i will probly stick with the stock 16's, but there might be some 18's or 19's in future. once again, thank you for all the help!

Drew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts