BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Eurowerkz Co-Founder
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well i thought this would never happen... but... i think my car needs more power. I have an AA supercharged 330ci(Steptronic). And i regularly smoke everything i race. I was planning on doing the level ten torque converter over this winter, i was curious what needs to be done to get more power? I thought about headers, etc. but i think the best thing to do for real power is increase boost. Does anyone know proper upgrades to do in order to increase my boost? What to reinforce, etc? Any info would be helpful i think. Thanks.

-Robby

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
as far as I know, I don't think you can raise the boost on the AA kit. The rotrex kit is maxed out at 8 psi(for the 325 at least). I would ask AA if I were you, and check to see if you can raise the boost or not first. The blower might not be able to handle the extra boost. I know my kit is maxed at 8 psi, but the 330's might be different. I would do headers, cams, do you have exhaust? Headers and exhaust should make a big difference on your car. About 20-30 HP header/exhaust combo.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
do headers with full exhaust. For the boost you should ask AA. Also i am not aware of anyone whos running more then 8psi boost on this forum.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
russ330 said:
^Juha 323Ci is running 10PSI of boost on his ASA kit. :yikes:
I ment for the AA kit dude. Noticed my post wasnt clear :)

·
ROI-ndian
1,413 Posts
do the Technik kit, I considered that with the ASA SC when i had my 330...could be layin out crazy hp

and you can also do more aggressive setups if your not using your car for a daily driver

also...best thing to do first before anything is reduce your rotational mass

get rid of the heavy chrome rims and go for some multi piece forged wheels

something 20-23 lbs each...there's lighter..but you want somethign that wont bend and can hold up to the NY roads

also...man. tranny with a ltw. flywheel if you wanted to do the swap

·
Eurowerkz Co-Founder
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i spoke to my guy at active and theyre in research and development and are planning on releasing a stage 2 in the next month or two, that looks like the best solution. When that goes in my auto tranny setup has to go, and either be replaced w/ an upgraded torque converter or manual tranny. The TC will reduce drivetrain loss to 12% and yield quicker shifts, but w/ the manual i can keep the 3.38diff. The torque converter upgrade is substantially cheaper @ $1500ish vs. the $5000ish of the manual tranny. Ill prob just wait for the stage 2 to come out and see what the full story is.

Robby

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
nice, what exactly does the Stg. II consist of? Did they tell you? I have not even installed my regular kit yet, but if Stg II sounds good enough, I might have to upgraded right away :woot:

·
Eurowerkz Co-Founder
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no, he said he couldnt release any specifics, but judging by AA's usual upgrades my guess is another 75hp-ish and probably 11-14lb of boost.

·
t(-_-t)=33
1,513 Posts
malakia12 said:
nice, what exactly does the Stg. II consist of? Did they tell you? I have not even installed my regular kit yet, but if Stg II sounds good enough, I might have to upgraded right away :woot:
Congrats on the AA kit. I'm assuming that the 264/248 cams are compatible with the rotrex? Or did you take them out?

·
TWC Alumni
1,812 Posts
rjk85 said:
no, he said he couldnt release any specifics, but judging by AA's usual upgrades my guess is another 75hp-ish and probably 11-14lb of boost.
I highly doubt it unless they are doing some serious internal work to the engine.

I would have to say doing a auto -----> manual swap would be a serious increase in performance for you as well as the fun factor of the car.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
KP said:
Congrats on the AA kit. I'm assuming that the 264/248 cams are compatible with the rotrex? Or did you take them out?
Thanks man, I still have them in the car. The good thing about AA's software is that you have to send your ECU down to them, and they custom tune it to your specific mods on the car. So when I send them my ECU, I tell them that I have 264/248's and they will tune it to my specific needs :thumbup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
vaio76109 said:
You could do forged pistons and rods(lowering compression ratio of course) and then raise the boost to 15-20psi.
I thought about doing that too, but wouldn't lowering the compression ratio also lower your low-end torque? If so, that would dramatically lower its usefulness as a daily driver.

·
Banned
8,818 Posts
Nerv said:
I thought about doing that too, but wouldn't lowering the compression ratio also lower your low-end torque? If so, that would dramatically lower its usefulness as a daily driver.
The SC would more than make up for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts