BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1999 323i and i have been reading everywhere that people are getting 400-450 miles outta one tank of gas. i have searched and i just cant find the exact answers i need!

i however only get 300 :banghead: out of a tank of 93 octain gasonline. I drive pretty tame, i dont really have any excess wait besides a 1 sub and an amp. other than that i keep my car pretty empty :hmm: for the fact that it helps mpg and it keeps theifs outta my car.

Any known problems or any knowledge that would help me figure out the problem or help with mpg

also how often do spark plugs need to be changed, whats the best brand to use, and also how much will it help!

Thanks alot,
Parker

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
change your spark plugs, clean your MAF, get a new air filter, fuel filter.

start from there and see what happens, there has been a couple threads on this.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but i dont really no what MAP (ill probley feel stupid once you tell me) and idk how to clean it?

prices on any of that stuff?

What Brands should i use?

which one will make the most diffirence?

which one should i do first?

I really hate wasting so much money on gas that is supposed to get good MPG! I feel like im driving a disel truck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
how many miles on your car?

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
Psh I only get 400 miles to a tank when I'm driving long distances. For normal mixed city and highway I get around 300 miles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

how do i clean the mass air sensor

whats the diffirence in say a general spark pulg vs a bosch or nkg

how much is a general tuneup of plugs and filters

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
440'ish per tank (~34mpg av) in my 5-speed manual 325Ci, MORE (~36mpg av) in my 6-speed 330Ci.

Granted most of my mileage is top gear M-way cruising. Reset your trip computer mpg figure (does a 323 have this?) and see what average you can get by being light-footed. I can get the averages above over a 350 mile long distance trip, I couldn't if I was driving round town, start, stop all the time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
mpg has A LOT to do with the type of driving and the driver's style. you will see ~300mil if it's mostly city driving with a lot of stop and go, 400mi for a mixture of city and highway, and 500mi for mostly cruising on the highway. i think your car is fine, but a tune up never hurts. check your tire pressure too.

your driving style can make a big difference too. rapidly accelerating or braking will significantly reduce your mpg. gradually acceleating and then anticipating when you will have to stop and coasting as much as possible will help. a lot of change in speed is what kills you. i had a honda insight and would get about 50mpg, but after my mom or sister would drive it they get about 35.

·
Registered
108 Posts

how do i clean the mass air sensor

whats the diffirence in say a general spark pulg vs a bosch or nkg

how much is a general tuneup of plugs and filters
Here's a link that details cleaning the MAF (among other things): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214439

Spark plugs: go to www.pelicanparts.com or www.bavauto.com and find the ones for your car.

Go to Autozone and have them check to see if your car is throwing any codes. It's free. Bad oxygen sensors will result in poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks alot guys!

and im a pretty tame driver but 300 is me like driving as tame as a 80 man on sunday afternoon! and its mostly highway

ill get that stuff check!

anybody got a price on how much a filter and hose tune up would be

1 - 14 of 14 Posts