BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is currently in the shop having some repairs done and some mods added.. I was talking to the shop owner and I asked him to put my PSS9 coilovers on my M3 to the lowest height setting. He told me he would do it if I wanted but he recommended I didn’t. He said lowering the car too much, especially in the rear, can cause damage to the axle and/or subframe. I asked him why or what made him say this, and he claimed that not too long after doing a similar install for another guy, his axle was damaged. He got me worried so I told him to hold off on that. So I need you guys to let me know if there is any truth to this. I respect the shop owner, he knows a lot about BMWs especially E46’s, and I know he isnt just talking out of his a$$. I am just thinking this other custumer had some bad luck or something. Could you guys give me some advice? I would love to go even lower then I am, and I know I can, but now I am worried. Help a brotha out with some info. Thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
I know a few guys with M3's that have the back to the lowest with PSS9's and they have never had any problems. But they don't have the front all the way down. Just to the tire where it looks good.

·
Bimmerless
1,933 Posts
there is a reason why your coilover kit is so expensive. i have pss9s, had max drop all around, no problems except for rubbing cuz my tires are too wide. you should have no problem.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
guys take it easy its a new york street thing

i have a m3 and live in new york. i will explain to the out of state
brothers why the shop guy said what it said for. new york area
is very bad on the roads alot of pot holes and bumbs you can't have the car drop to the max. in the tri-state area and i mean new york area. iu have my car drop 1 3/4" on h&r coilovers and
in the back my car is tuck and in the front i have a 1/2 "gap from my tire. but in the back if a have people in the car i will bottom out
if i hit a bump or a pothole for sure. but i don't have to many people in the back of my car so i am ok.

if you go lower than 1 3/4" in the back maybe over 2" you will have trouble i have a friend that went 2.20 and he is rubing
very bad

if you want to be smart and still make your car look good go
with a 1 3/4" drop in the back

i don't know what your ground clearence is in your car in the front
but with my 1 3/4" drop i have a 3 1/4" ground clearence

THAT IS THE INPORTANT FACTER TO REMEMBER IN N.Y. STREETS

with my drop if i go into a little sharp road condition going up or down like going into a parking garage i will scrape my spoiler
so i would tell you not to go below a 3" ground clearence after
your drop or don't go past a 2" drop in the front and just drive slow and scan the road surface as you drive and stay away from potholes and bumbs. and if you come across speed bumbs take
them on a angle make one of your tires go over the speed bumb at a time. and you won't bottom out. if you go over the bumb
with both tires at once you will scrape your spoiler and scratch it up and bottom out to.
you can't listen to people who don't live in this area they have no idea what we all go thru in the tri-state area.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,844 Posts
i thought u got rid of the m cracka!

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,716 Posts
my friend had his car dropped to the lowest (albeit it wasnt an M) and after awhile (I think 11 months) he started hearing this knocking noise from the back. He couldnt figure out what it was so he took it in and sure enough, the right rear axle broke off from the frame. They had to weld it back together.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think i heard some people posting about this around 6 months ago.........If you do a search that might help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is that your white M3 in your sig? If so, could you post some pics? thanks. Sorry for being off topic on your question.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10chi said:
my friend had his car dropped to the lowest (albeit it wasnt an M) and after awhile (I think 11 months) he started hearing this knocking noise from the back. He couldnt figure out what it was so he took it in and sure enough, the right rear axle broke off from the frame. They had to weld it back together.

This is the exact same problem the shop owner was telling me about...

Freak: i posted some pics of my car in the showroom heres a link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125851

1 - 11 of 11 Posts