BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am for the most part metal to metal on my brakes...

I want to convert my 323 brakes to 328 brakes, as I heard this is feasible somewhere on this board....

Anybody know what ALL do I need to complete this conversion???

Part numbers would be appreciated!

THANKS! :D

·
'a certain moderator'
35,565 Posts
328 brakes are a bit smaller than 330 brakes no? if upgrading to an OEM brake, wouldnt u want to go with 330, or is that impossible due to differences between the model years?

I am interested in doing 330 brakes, upgrading from my 325 brakes, and would also like to get all the info listed above by milleniumbimmer so :bump: :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im doin this upgrade right now, will have everything done before this weekend, and will post pics. First you will need to get caliper carriers/brackets, for the front, I got mine from a salvage yard for $50 each, they are $100 each from the stealer, any carriers for a 325/328 will work, Im told the back rotor are a dirrect swap, so you only need the front carriers, then just get the rotors and do the swap, Ill repost when Im done and let you know how it went.

·
Registered
521 Posts
question

when you change the rotor to a different size, don't you have to change the calipers as well?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Pretty sure 323/328 calipers are the same size. As said above, you just need the upgraded carriers to accompany the larger rotors.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
323's and 328's use the same calipers and pads.

328's have slightly bigger rotors than 323's:

323 328
Front rotors 286x22 Front rotors 300x22
Rear rotors 276x19 Rear rotors 294x19

To swap the fronts you need the 328 brake carriers,
p/n 34-11-1-165-035, one per side.

The rears are just a rotor swap.

I got my information from Crevier BMW's parts department. They double-checked and assure me that the information is correct.

Looks like gefell is our guinea pig for this one. I won't get around to swapping mine until spring.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just updating I got the rotors in today and will be doin the rears tonight, I have the carriers and rotors for the front and will try tonight to do them also, but may be tommarrow night before I get to the fronts, Ill update how everything goes.

·
I got nothin'
298 Posts
gefell said:
Just updating I got the rotors in today and will be doin the rears tonight, I have the carriers and rotors for the front and will try tonight to do them also, but may be tommarrow night before I get to the fronts, Ill update how everything goes.
If you can drive just a bit north I'll be happy to help/do the swap.....got all the tools/jacks/etc we'll need.

·
frequent tire purchaser
654 Posts
I want more info on the 330 brakes if anyone has it. I would like to upgrade my 323 to these if possible. What parts are necessary other than the rotors and calipers?

·
A bimmer chick moderator :)
43,389 Posts
I have a set of used front and rear 328 rotors FS used with only 10k miles, pm me if interested.

Thanks!

·
Nikkei is a $lut.
17 Posts
sullyz said:
I want more info on the 330 brakes if anyone has it. I would like to upgrade my 323 to these if possible. What parts are necessary other than the rotors and calipers?

if you're changing the calipers as well...isn't that gonna cost pretty close to aftermarket bigbrake kits?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The rear rotor are too big, they dont fit ! I just got done trying to get them on, the caliper will not bolt up ,so this swap will not work by just switching rotors !

·
frequent tire purchaser
654 Posts
a s u r a 0 s 9 said:

if you're changing the calipers as well...isn't that gonna cost pretty close to aftermarket bigbrake kits?
not if I get the parts used. I just want to know what it takes to make it work.... I can worry about cost after I determine what I need.

·
Nikkei is a $lut.
17 Posts
gefell said:
The rear rotor are too big, they dont fit ! I just got done trying to get them on, the caliper will not bolt up ,so this swap will not work by just switching rotors !

oh no! :thumbdwn:

how were the front brakes?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
gefell said:
S H I T !

That sucks. Really sucks. Proves BMW parts counter guys are idiots! The guy even checked twice. Worst case then is to change the rear brake carriers, I guess. Makes the swap more of a hassle, but the rear brakes on a 323 are so small they look funny...

·
Registered
51 Posts
The rotor make it look alot better, Im gonna get the rear carriers and put them on, what really sucks is the salvage yard sent the wrong carriers so I couldnt put the fronts on yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
sullyz said:
To upgrade your 323i to 330i front brakes, you need:

--330i front calipers and caliper brackets
--330i front rotors
--330i front pads
--330i front anti-rattle clips
--Minimum 17" wheels

Also budget for fresh brake fluid, a pressure bleeder, other tools, and possibly brake caliper rebuild kits if you choose to rebuild the calipers before installing them.

I don't know whether 330i rear brakes can be transplanted to other cars.

·
Registered
724 Posts
this sounds like a good idea but what is the main purpose in this mod? what are you guys trying to accomplish

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you're gonna invest any kind of time or money into this OEM brake conversion, why not just upgrade to 330 brakes??

328 brakes are not really that much bigger than 323's and you will not notice much, if any difference in stopping power.
I'm sure you can find plenty of salvaged 330 parts now. Going from 323 to 328 brake kit doesn't make much sense to me.:dunno:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts