E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the plastic cover that's on top of the waterpump is broken and shredding my pulley's .

what is that part called, or can i get the part number so I can try to figure out where to get anther one.... :facepalm:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the plastic damper that the pully sits on. that is the part i'm looking for.

i went to www.realoem.com and can't find it.

the best pic, is the engine on the homescreen for realoem.com. there is a black plastic circle peice that has 4 bolts

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
the plastic damper that the pully sits on. that is the part i'm looking for.

i went to www.realoem.com and can't find it.

the best pic, is the engine on the homescreen for realoem.com. there is a black plastic circle peice that has 4 bolts
Not trying to be mean here, just realistic. If you can't locate the part you want to replace on realoem, should you really be attempting to replace the part yourself?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Not trying to be mean here, just realistic. If you can't locate the part you want to replace on realoem, should you really be attempting to replace the part yourself?
umm...realoem is kind of a crappy set up to look up parts.

Not everyone knows bmw parts groups and such.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.. The ETK isn't as intuitively organized as it could be - especially with the new image-based navigation

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.. The ETK isn't as intuitively organized as it could be - especially with the new image-based navigation
real-oem is worse than etk

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
umm...realoem is kind of a crappy set up to look up parts.

Not everyone knows bmw parts groups and such.
I don't even know what a "bmw parts group" is but with a little common sense and a simple process of elimination I can almost always find what I'm looking for within just a few minutes (and usually within seconds). There are a few things, especially electrical, that can be a bit difficult to find. I guess my point is that if you know at little about cars it's not too hard to figure out a part number. Between the OP's description of his problem and his difficulty figuring out realoem, I'm just not sure he's quite up to the task.

DIY isn't for everyone and it's far better to admit when you're in over your head than to risk making matters worse. While a lot of fanatics tackle some pretty involved DIY projects, there's no shame in not having the skills or tools to tackle a repair yourself.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
real-oem is worse than etk
True, but it's not a night and day difference IMO. The organization structure is almost the same. I've got access to the real ETK too, I don't find it to be that much more efficient. I usually don't bother booting up the machine I have it installed on unless I need to look up the contents of a particular kit or some other type of details that aren't provided by realOEM (item weight for example).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts