E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
22,498 Posts
why I would all of the sudden not have communication with INPA?
Most likely the COM port that Windows assigned to the cable changed and you did not edit the config file accordingly. See this post.

· Registered
2000 323i MT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
SO.... Slightly off topic I was driving my car the other night attempting another drive cycle i hit a huge jack rabbit, it broke my ambient air temp sensor completely off and the dash was reading -40. I replaced the sensor and its still reading -40 is there a recalibration sequence i need to do or something?

· Registered
2002 330i auto
279 Posts
Check wiring for the temp sensor. Drive cycles will not fix this, you need to find what's actually wrong. I know some states have to read the VIN, even if OBDII is working.

When you bought it did this car come from an emissions tested area? I'm wondering if some stuff was coded out to stop CEL. I don't have any ideas for no comms on the OBDII other than making sure all the pins are pushed in to the connector. I'd also reseat the DME connectors.

Two years ago I took the Odyssey for IL emissions they said they couldn't connect to the ECU. Passed me on no active CEL and said next time it would be a fail if they couldn't read it. I never did anything as I had no trouble reading OBDII. Last test was no trouble.

· Registered
2000 323i MT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Most likely the COM port that Windows assigned to the cable changed and you did not edit the config file accordingly. See this post.
Hey Bali so i followed your install instructions to the -T made sure my com port settings are set to 1 and everything and i still don't get the any communication in INPA.

· Registered
2000 323i MT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@Bali i finally got my new cable in and inpa works great however when i go into win kfp to attempt the dme re-flash its as if there are not any files when i select update zusb in the ecu family and zusb columns there isnt any info.

· Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
2,210 Posts
Alright so I was finally able to update the dme and my secondary air pump still does not turn on during cold start.
Have you fixed your ambient air temp sensor? As noted earlier, the SAP is supposed to come on with a cold start. The DME reads various sensors, including the ambient temp sensor to infer whether you're going through a cold start or not.

· Registered
2000 323i MT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Have you fixed your ambient air temp sensor? As noted earlier, the SAP is supposed to come on with a cold start. The DME reads various sensors, including the ambient temp sensor to infer whether you're going through a cold start or not.
yeah that has been fixed I checked temp readings before starting coolant temp sensor, ambient air temp, and inlet air temp sensor all said 51 degrees.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts