E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i supposedly did a bad job in leaving my dads 740i key on the hood. i locked the doors and the car was in the garage, so i left the key on the hood. its a pretty visible key, considering the car is white.

well my mom used the valet key cuz she supposedly couldnt find the main key (even though it was on the hood)

so, i was stupid to leave it on the hood

how much do u think a new 740i key will go for

its the e38 7, not the new one

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
only thing i've heard is that if you dont turn in a key with a lease vehicle is costs you ~$150 or so.

·
unregistered user
793 Posts
Yeah, the dealer can hook you up with a new key- it's only about $150 to get one made. I'd do some looking up and down your driveway and street to see if you can spot it because you might come out one day and the car will be gone....

·
Black and Proud
17,010 Posts
i think i've seen an uncut e46 key for sale on ebay before...
you have to get it laser cut .. and then programmed at the dealership to work with the car

don't know if that's cheaper than paying $150-180 to the dealership for a new key

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
did she just pull out of the garage, with the key on the hood? have you searched for the key? it might be around , in the driveway or grass or something

·
Registered
892 Posts
XKxRome0ox said:
i think i've seen an uncut e46 key for sale on ebay before...
you have to get it laser cut .. and then programmed at the dealership to work with the car

don't know if that's cheaper than paying $150-180 to the dealership for a new key
Actually, they're cut with a drill-like machine. You can tell by the telltale circular engraved pattern in the key "channel". :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well, whenever a company has a monopoly on a particular product, they are free to arbitrarily set the price. So, you have the manufacturer of all types of "channel" keys (incl. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche), named Huf Group. Huf is the only company that makes keys and locks of its kind. So, naturally, they'll charge whatever they think they can get for a key. You also have to take into account the expense of putting the remote, immobilizer chip, and battery, all sealed, inside the head of the key (I'm sure, although while a regular key with immobilizer may be cheap, if you had to buy a new remote with it, it'd be considerably more expensive). Then, there's the BMW premium - BMW restricts the Huf Group from selling the key blanks on their own, then BMW parts becomes the sole provider of these keys - and we all know how much they love to jack people on the pricing. So, in the end, you can trace the reasons for the E46 key's uber-pricing - and remember to not lose your key for those reasons. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts