BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 w 40 but would 0 w 40 be ok too. I mean mobil1 doesnt make 5w40. Some guy i asked at a store said not to use 0 w 40. So now i am completely lost . he said its too thin. I looked at mobil1 website and they use it on 98 and new mercedes and porshes. Can someone shed some light on this matter. Is it safe or should i order 5 w 40 from the dealer????????

·
Registered
664 Posts
Really.?? I always thought they recommended Castrol SAE 5w30 Full Syntec. Well...that's what I always use anyways.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have two recent writeups on this subject, do a search. You can safely goto 0W40 engine oil. Yes 5W40 is the new recomendation. 0W40 will provide better wear protection and cold start protection than 5W30 or 5W40 for that matter. I just put 0W40 in. Remember you want the new Supersyn 0W40 not the old gold bottle formula. If you can't find it, it is available through Mercedes and Porsche dealers. I went through a dealer online and got a good special $4.95 per bottle.

Beema said:
5 w 40 but would 0 w 40 be ok too. I mean mobil1 doesnt make 5w40. Some guy i asked at a store said not to use 0 w 40. So now i am completely lost . he said its too thin. I looked at mobil1 website and they use it on 98 and new mercedes and porshes. Can someone shed some light on this matter. Is it safe or should i order 5 w 40 from the dealer????????

·
Registered
243 Posts
0W40 is ok. BMW itself recommends 0W X or 5W X for temperatures -30 C to 30 C. By the way, it's explained in your owner's manual.

Because of low temperatures during winter here, local dealer sells only 0w40 in that bmw original oil bottles. I put 0w40 into my car, already more than 5k km running on it.

What's wrong with "old gold bottle formula" ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: I know bmw recommends....

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
I have two recent writeups on this subject, do a search. You can safely goto 0W40 engine oil. Yes 5W40 is the new recomendation. 0W40 will provide better wear protection and cold start protection than 5W30 or 5W40 for that matter. I just put 0W40 in. Remember you want the new Supersyn 0W40 not the old gold bottle formula.
Ya i saw your posts earlier, the thing is that i live in cali and it doesnt snow. I like to also drive my car pretty hard so im wondering if 0w40 still protects my engine durring a lot of stress as 5w40.Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
..Do you think that 0-40 vs 5-40 will make any substantial difference in the longevity of the motor in the time that you own your car??...
I change my oil+filter every 5K for the benefit of next guy who owns my car. After 100K--that's when it makes a difference..maybe..

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Yes there could be a difference

The fact is that 0W40 will have better cold start than 5W40. Also the wear rating is the biggest factor over time. 0W40 has a better wear rating in bearing tests. Yeah it comes down to millimeters but in a engine, that's everything. Even Mobil will recomend 0W over 5W or 10W!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks kev for your help:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts