E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Say hello to my lito fren
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Explain to me, how is it that a relatively stock (engine wise) 330ci, can keep up with an e46 M3 convertible??:pimpin: :dunno:

I am leaving dinner with my friend (who has an e46 M3 convertible)...granted he is not the best driver in the world, but he is not a wuss either. I left a couple of minutes before him, and I am traveling down on Sawgrass expressway...he pulls behind me, then beside me, and gives me a smile.....so I was like, "hell, I'll go for it"

we were going around 65mph, I dropped to 4th (3500rpm) and we gunned it...he started pulling on me, so I dropped it to 3rd (5500rpm) and nailed it....icredibly, I was only 1.5 car lengths behind at this point.....I was entering redline, and shifted to 4th (5000 or so rpm) and continued at same distance....I put it in 5th and kept on his @ss....by this time we were going around 130mph, and by the time I hit 140mph, my governor kicked in!!!
but the WHOLE time I was only 1.5-2 car lengths behind him....

how is that possible!!???

man, I love my bimmer!!!!:thumbup: :pimpin:

·
Registered
660 Posts
aren't convertibles usually heavier than the coupes? maybe a m-3 conovertible is slower than the hard-top.:dunno: :dunno:

·
Read Only
12,638 Posts
did you ask him what he was doing

that way you will know for sure. i don't think he was geting on his car that hard. the m3 has a higher red line if he was nailing it their should be no problem to put a little more distance between you if he wanted to. i would say.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
909 Posts
ask ur friend and see if he was serious about the race. i think m3 conv is not as fast as we thought, but should beat the 330 by 2-3 cars up to 140mph. btw, is your car stock?

i want to race one of those so badly...haha!

·
Say hello to my lito fren
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, of course I talked to him...I actually saw him again on sunday, and first thing he told me was: "yo, I gotta give it up to you....I'm impressed you kept up with me"!

So No, he didn't want me to hang around him, and my only conclusion is that it was a combination of the following:

1. he wasn't pushing his whip close to his redline
2. m3 cabrio's are slower than we thought compared to coupe M3s
3. one of those days were my whip was just riding sweet:dunno:

I think if I were to do it again, the beating would be more than just 1.5-2 car lengths.... Just can't get over the fact that I kept up with the mofo:thumbup: What a rush

·
Addicted to Torque!
505 Posts
shervin's real name i s "Mario Andretti" Thats the only reason he kept up with M

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
ssabripo said:
1. he wasn't pushing his whip close to his redline
I have to say that's the most plausible explaination. Like any high rpm motor, you have to take it up to redline to extract maximum performance. I bet if your friend shifted at 6500rpm, 330's redline, you two would be neck to neck the whole time. So, teach him how to drive. (or maybe not, or you won't be able to keep up next time) :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.