BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered car with HK stereo. am I a fool? i actually like to listen to AM radio sometimes. Does anyone have the HK with decent Am reception? Does anyone have the HK with no problems with it?

·
mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO
2,124 Posts
my AM works fine!! and i love my HK even if you decide to upgrade there are more speakers there

·
Registered
644 Posts
H/K would probably have the same reception as the non H/K, but you'll probably like it when playing music. I have non-H/K, and think it works just fine :)

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
if you dont have any plans to ever upgrade then id say stay with the HK. if you have in the past or plan to repalce stock stuff then stick with regualr stereo, save the $675

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,835 Posts
Kelli67 said:
am I a fool?
Maybe, but its got nothing to do with getting a HK stereo :lmao:
J/k, that was too easy to pass up :thumbup:

Like the others have said it depends on if you are planning on upgrading you stereo. You could put the same $675 and spend it on an amp, two sets of component speakers, and a line level converter (this allows you to keep the stock head unit and run it to the amp) and probably end up with better sound than if you went with the HK. When you had the speakers installed you could also have Dynamat installed to prevent rattles and improve the sonic quality.

If you never plan to upgrade the stereo aftermarket but want some better sound then definitly go with the HK upgrade.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am very satisfied with my hk system. I have a 330, but I was originally going to get a 325 and pay for the hk. The tweeters could be a little bit clearer, but I consider myself an audiophile. I haven't had any troubles with my system, but there is slight rattling at EXTREME volumes. Chances are you will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
rkaufman said:
I am very satisfied with my hk system. I have a 330, but I was originally going to get a 325 and pay for the hk. The tweeters could be a little bit clearer, but I consider myself an audiophile. I haven't had any troubles with my system, but there is slight rattling at EXTREME volumes. Chances are you will be very happy with it.
What he said. (Except I'm not an audiophile.) I have no probs, no rattling, and it sounds about 1000 times better than the stock stereo in my previous e36. Glad I got it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Harman Kardon Sound is worth the money. Its under BMW Warranty, sounds reallly clear, and looks more classy

·
Oaf
951 Posts
not at all. I didn't get it because I was planning to put a whole new audio system in this car (like I did with the last one) but changed my mind. Now I regret not just having it and being done with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought at first that I was going to regret getting the H/K system. But, being an average person in terms of sound quality I am very happy with it. The radio seems pretty clear to me, and I heard my friends the other day (he has XM) and it sounds even better because he has the FM Adapter. I would say get the H/K and then upgrade to XM if you desire better sounds quality.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Kelli67 said:
i just ordered car with HK stereo. am I a fool? i actually like to listen to AM radio sometimes. Does anyone have the HK with decent Am reception? Does anyone have the HK with no problems with it?
My AM reception and sound is not bad, about as good "fidelity" wise as AM gets. The H/K that came with my 330Ci is pretty good, but what I think the one problem I do have is the famous speaker rattle, but I really believe it isn't the speakers themselves but the mount/door,window etc. rattling. As a bit of a stereo buff I know the sound of bad speakers and this isn't it. I wouldn't hesitate getting the H/K unless you'd prefer putting in a good aftermarket set up.

·
The Man
350 Posts
No way, you aren't a fool. I just got my 03 330ci in nov and I have the HK, but my X has an 02 325xi without the HK. My system destroys hers. There is a huge quality difference.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
for the money you can't beat it

i have a 2003 m3smg2 i was surpised i have 1400 miles on car with no rattles yet .
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
3,414 Posts
Everyone that I've met with the HK system says that it rattles like crazy. Also the bass doesn't hit very hard, but hey you only expect so much from the factory I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts