E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So literally about an hour and a half ago I was pulling into my neighborhood when a cat decided to sprint in front of me and since it was raining earlier I hydroplaned and my rear left driver wheel hit the curb... hard. I walked out of the car to look at the damage and yep it seems like the control arm was slightly bent and up I'll post pictures later. I do have one question about how much would it be to straighten it out and how long would it take me if I tried replacing it myself? thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
before everybody starts jumping to conclusions and throwing parts at you, please take the time to take good quality pictures so we can verify what is and isn't broken before someone tells you to replace your entire front end.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
:rofl:

·
Registered
3,369 Posts

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
So literally about an hour and a half ago I was pulling into my neighborhood when a cat decided to sprint in front of me and since it was raining earlier I hydroplaned and my rear left driver wheel hit the curb... hard. I walked out of the car to look at the damage and yep it seems like the control arm was slightly bent and up I'll post pictures later. I do have one question about how much would it be to straighten it out and how long would it take me if I tried replacing it myself? thanks for reading.
Once metal bends, it becomes weaker. Replace the lower control arm. It's cheap.

The job is pretty easy, you will need to loosen up the diff bolts in order to drop the control arm though, and obviously do an alignment afterwards.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
You didn't really hydroplane unless you were driving 60 in your neighborhood. You slid...but you saved a cat.

Next time, I hate to say this, but you sort of have to develop instincts not to try to avoid animals unless you know you've got the room/control to avoid it. Your car would have done fine against a cat...though truth is, a fn raccoon cost me about $600 in my e36.

Anyway, you avoided that cat and it cost you...only way you can even things up now is to drive around looking for a cat to get even with. Try to pick one of the same color...or best would be the same cat. Stalk the houses in the neighborhood...bet you can find it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
He should probably just go ahead and replace both anyway. :eeps:
Since you're going to have the wheels off replacing these anyhow, it would be silly not to go ahead and replace the subframe, suspension, brakes (not just the pads, but the entire system...master cylinder, lines, calipers, wheel cylinders), and your wheels. These are all wear items on this car, and need to be replaced any time you lift it off the ground.

If you don't do all of this, don't come crying to us when you have another issue. You've gotta pay to play, son.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Since you're going to have the wheels off replacing these anyhow, it would be silly not to go ahead and replace the subframe, suspension, brakes (not just the pads, but the entire system...master cylinder, lines, calipers, wheel cylinders), and your wheels. These are all wear items on this car, and need to be replaced any time you lift it off the ground.

If you don't do all of this, don't come crying to us when you have another issue. You've gotta pay to play, son.
:rofl:

Sorry about the car, at least the cats safe. Get some pictures up so we can see the actual damage!

·
:D
7,274 Posts
Control arms are uber cheap in the rear. And based on the design that's probably the only thing that bent (if memory is serving me right)

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
Sorry to hear. :/

There have been quite a few people in your situation (curb impact to rear wheel). The lower wishbone (camber arm) is what usually gives out and it's a good thing, too, since it's cheap and fairly easy to replace.
Change that wishbone first, look for cracks in the upper wishbone (where the spring sits), and then try to get an alignment.
If it won't align to spec, you'll also need to replace the trailing arm. I do have a left one available if you end up needing it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You didn't really hydroplane unless you were driving 60 in your neighborhood. You slid...but you saved a cat.

Next time, I hate to say this, but you sort of have to develop instincts not to try to avoid animals unless you know you've got the room/control to avoid it. Your car would have done fine against a cat...though truth is, a fn raccoon cost me about $600 in my e36.

Anyway, you avoided that cat and it cost you...only way you can even things up now is to drive around looking for a cat to get even with. Try to pick one of the same color...or best would be the same cat. Stalk the houses in the neighborhood...bet you can find it!
Not necessarily. A locked up tire can get hot and turn the water to steam in which it will ride on top of. Its referred to as reverted rubber hydroplaning. I'm not saying it happened. But its possible. It happens roughly at 8.6 time the square root of the tire pressure.:craig:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Sorry to hear. :/

There have been quite a few people in your situation (curb impact to rear wheel). The lower wishbone (camber arm) is what usually gives out and it's a good thing, too, since it's cheap and fairly easy to replace.
Change that wishbone first, look for cracks in the upper wishbone (where the spring sits), and then try to get an alignment.
If it won't align to spec, you'll also need to replace the trailing arm. I do have a left one available if you end up needing it.
...and this, Fanatics, is what Fanatics is about!

Nice, Kalim!

...and Pilot's post above...also what Fanatics is about!

Good luck, OP. Photos...and you'll get good advice and help, even though you might not think so...but you will!

·
Registered
698 Posts

And then, catch it and eat the cat? or put it under your wheel and drive over to get even with?
Just kidding! Just woke up in the very early morning and just about to drive my E46 via 580 East then I5 south to LA for my school reunion party, and will drive back home tomorrow. Should be a fun drive!

·
Registered
410 Posts
And then, catch it and eat the cat? or put it under your wheel and drive over to get even with?
Just kidding! Just woke up in the very early morning and just about to drive my E46 via 580 East then I5 south to LA for my school reunion party, and will drive back home tomorrow. Should be a fun drive!

If you take 101 maybe. I've taken 5 down way more times than I care to remember and it always sucked - even w/o my mother-in-law on board! Maybe you gotta pick somebody up in Stockton?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You learned a valuable lesson. If it is smaller than you do not flinch and just try to stop. I used to teach emergency vehicle driving and it is a hard habit to break. I also responded to many single vehicle accidents for someone who tried to avoid an animal.. yes fatalities too. You are just safer not swerving to avoid a small animal. Do what you can but do not put yourself in danger.

I pasted a deer a couple of months ago. The deer or a guard rail. My wife in her years of driving has hit a Horse, Elk, Jack Rabbit (hitting a Jack rabbit at 85 mph will do significant dammage to your car when he stands up and gives you the "Death Stare") Oh, she hit a guy sprinting across the street too! Damn she is unlucky!

Look at the parts and consider yourself lucky!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.