BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

What modifications are on your car?

• Stock - I like to keep it clean.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • A little something - Debadged and riding on the 18's that were intended for it.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • NOPI - I invented neon street glow.

Votes: 6 17.6%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see it as a reoccurring theme in the for sale section of not only this forum but many others as well as auto sale websites.

Why do people say "TASTEFUL MODS"?

In almost every case I say to myself "why the hell did they desecrate their car?". I'm a firm believer that stock never goes out of style, but most mods do. I understand that technology changes and that some cars have flaws that can be corrected by modification, but as far as cosmetics go, a designer spent hundreds of hours perfecting their design.

Do manufacturers dumb down the original design with more cost effective solutions such as smaller wheels and halogen headlights? Simply put? Yes.

If your tasteful modification involves acquiring OEM parts it can usually work out, but this does not include spray tint on your taillights or Krylon black wheels.

When I was sixteen 5% window tint and 2 12" subs was all the rage. So tell me, what constitutes a "Tasteful Mod"?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
because racecar? :dunno:

well while im against fully ricing out the e46 light mods to keep it up with times are nice.

heres a before and after pic of my car, i brought it into this decade so once again it may stand out from the rest rather than being left to blend in and be forgotten.

would you call this excessive? I call it clean/modernized (pic was taken before drop, it sits 1.5" lower now)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Haha this thread is funny, so, is that a tasteful mod in your signiture? Let's hope you drove that when you were 16 and not now because its hideous.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
No car is perfect. We work hard to make the cars our own.

Case in point:

to

Tell me that car is not tastefully modded (along with all the hidden stuff - GC coils, M50 swap, ec/t

·
Registered
354 Posts
If someone who isn't intimately familiar with the car model in question can tell that you changed something, then it isn't "tastefully modded."

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
because it's yummy

·
Registered
201 Posts
I Enjoy my tasteful mods, I am riding stock with my c55 for the most part but I intend to tastefully mod that as well. Your in a stock e36?:eek:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No car is perfect. We work hard to make the cars our own.

Case in point:

to

Tell me that car is not tastefully modded (along with all the hidden stuff - GC coils, M50 swap, ec/t
One question; If you are trying to make it your own, then why do you all do the same mods?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
what constitutes a "Tasteful Mod"?
Not flashy and fancy, just moderate. Just like people..Who would give you a better first impression? Moderately dressed people or over/under-dressed people?

For cars, no such thing is under-moded, you can call it 'stock' IMO..Unless you intentionally breakdown things lol. Either moderately/tastefully moded and over/ghetto-ishly moded cars exist.

One question; If you are trying to make it your own, then why do you all do the same mods?
Maybe because ordinary people tend not to be showy? Well I think it's all about self satisfaction and individuality..Even though my car doesn't have nice body kit and wheels, I'm quite satisfied. If you want a tastefully moded car but want to be little bit showy, you could put gold rims. White/black cars with gold rims aren't ricey at all. In fact they're quite unique and moderate

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I built my m50 to my own spec. My coil rates are for me, and the car has some electronics in it that you wont find in other places.

But if you use this logic then why drive a car at all? Everyone else is doing it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think this is the look you were going for, but you've missed it by a little bit. Unfortunately, mods don't tend to look "a little bit" wrong. They're either a hit, or a miss, even with the big name tuners.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All I see is ugly black rims put on. Tasteless
I have to agree, but it really have very rarely seen black rims that I like, and never on a beamer. No bmws come with black rims.

They always look like cheap wheels that lost their hubcaps to me, and that's a really bad look. Kind of like a crown vic that's seen too much cops and robbers action.

I would never go for black rims.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts