E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2001 BMW 330ci which has 17 inch factory rims. I would like to increase by 2 inches and get 19 inch rims. I plan on having 235 35 19 in the front and 245 35 19 in the rear. How different will my my ride be and what would i need beside my new rims and tires. Thanks And yes i forgot to say i like in NEW YORK pothole capitol of the world.

·
Der Meisterstück
2,469 Posts
Your ride comfort will become very rough. The thinner sidewalls and wider tread equates to more transfer of road irregularities onto the car. You will feel every bump and rut in the road. Sort of like riding on a bicycle on a cobblestone street.

·
Registered
671 Posts
how come so many people have 19's here then?

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
L-I-B said:
how come so many people have 19's here then?
All show, no go.

If you want a nice compromise between ride comfort, performance, and appearance, 18's are pretty much ideal on the E46. I stuck to 17's because I'm more concerned about performance (and because 18 and 19" tires aren't cheap:) ).

·
Are we there yet??
6,352 Posts
I agree I am scared running my 18's in NJ forget NYC. I wont even run the 18's in the winter which is much worse, 17" snows for me!!!!

I actually didnt though notice a HUGE difference in ride between the 17's and 18' but that could be cause of different tires, and since I went with 235/40R18 instead of 225's like I had on the 17's the sidewall was slightly larger so not as HUGE of a difference over the 17's. I think though I would notice much more of a difference on the 19's.

·
needs a new sig...
4,497 Posts
i rolled on 19s in NYC for 2 years now, i have perfectly straight rims, no blown tires and i am atisifed with ride comfort. it is harder then stock but completly tolerable.. dont stagger the tires it isnt worth it 235/35 19 all around is sufficent

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to a BMW showroom the other day and noticed a nice 2004 M3. Is the suspension that different that different on a M3. I notice that the M3 had 19 inche rims also is the ride you get from a M3 that rough or rougher than a 330CI.

·
You ain't fresh AZIMIZ!!!!!
2,124 Posts
Go w/ 19". You will be sorry you didn't :bawling:

·
needs a new sig...
4,497 Posts
i cant feel any difference but the shocks and spring rates are different, you will not be disappointed with 19's and the ride

·
Are we there yet??
6,352 Posts
brooklynbimmer said:
I went to a BMW showroom the other day and noticed a nice 2004 M3. Is the suspension that different that different on a M3. I notice that the M3 had 19 inche rims also is the ride you get from a M3 that rough or rougher than a 330CI.

M3 is definetly rougher then a 330, and 19's on that car are pretty light, although the 18's are probably still better for handling. They can put 18/19's on an M3 because the people buying them arent really expecting (or at least they shouldnt be) a plush ride. The 330's are mostly daily drivers, and although I am sure that many use the M3 for daily driving its still made to be more aggressive and much less civil so 19's would work.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Staszek said:
M3 is definetly rougher then a 330, and 19's on that car are pretty light, although the 18's are probably still better for handling. They can put 18/19's on an M3 because the people buying them arent really expecting (or at least they shouldnt be) a plush ride. The 330's are mostly daily drivers, and although I am sure that many use the M3 for daily driving its still made to be more aggressive and much less civil so 19's would work.
hell ya ,he's telling the truth . the m3 rides rougher. its not my daily driver though. the other one on my sig is :thumbup:

·
loves M.J.
5,041 Posts
I would say go w/ 19s, the comfort of the ride also depends highly on what springs you get ie I have uuc v2 which provides for a very comfortable ride, stiff when it needs to be--soft (if I can use that word) most of the time.

I have no problems w/ people saying "your ride is too harsh," etc SO GO FOR IT! My car is my everyday driver and I have no problems

Also, the rear measurement on the tire I believe is hard to find IF my memory serves me correctly :eeps: I think 255/35 is easier to find :thumbup: g'luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts