E46 Fanatics Forum banner

What to do with my ride...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. So september 3rd I move to Boston for college. I would never bring my BMW to Boston and would never want a car there. I'm going to Northeastern which has a 5 year program. Anyway, my car would be sitting around, and not driven during those 5 years. No one else in my family drives stick and no one has a need to drive my car. I figured that at this KBB says my car is worth 30k and that it will essentially be worthless when Im done with college in 5 years and it will also be out of warranty so any mileage based problems wouldnt turn up for a long ass time and would cost a bunch. Also if I sell my car it gives me 30k cash to save and when I leave college I could get a better/newer car. What do you guys thinks makes the most sense? Also I've dont quite a few mods, which will be a pain in the ass to deal with, but are still reversable.

I guess im just looking for opinions/advice from you guys as to what you would do if you were in this situation or what you did when you were in a similar situation...

Thanks,
Ben

·
Banned
3,759 Posts
Daym ben, I would sell the car and keep the cash rather than having the car lay around collecting dust.

In about 5 years, there's gonna be plenty of new cars out and you'll probably want a few of them. SO sell and part out is my vote. :thumbup:

PS: let me know about your coils HOOK ME UP!!!! hahaha PM or IM me bro

Late

·
Banned
806 Posts
you have to sell it. if yo ucant enjoy it, have someone else enjoy it. 30k is alot and you could do alot with it. maybe try to sell it the way it is for a month, if nothing, part it out and sell it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
why keep the car when you wont be driving it. It will just sit there collecting dust. It will be an outdated machine once you are finished with your studies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
gotta part out and sell....like ^ said invest and cash out when your done with school to buy a new BMW - The NU campus is right in the middle of everything so your a trolley/train ride away from all the hot spots. The only problem you might run into is when you go on co-op! Alot of the jobs are on the outskirts of boston and might require driving....you could just pick up a beater if that becomes an issue though.....

oh and you might miss your baby when you see all the bmws on/around campus :yikes:

·
needs a new sig...
3,375 Posts
**** that... bring your car to school. pay to park it in boston. use it to go to places outside of boston. having a car at school is the best thing i have done in a long time in a city or not!

·
Registered
686 Posts
i agree ^. Sell it soon, part out and buy something cheaper to just get around in. I hated being a slave to a bus or train schedule up at school. I go to SUNY Albany and the weather sucks ass all year long. Freshman year had no ride, buses or taxis everywhere but its a pain in the ass, and public transportation is a slave to weather also. Last year i took my old man's suburban to school and i was the only dumbass driving around during the winter. This year i'm bringing my 323. but its staying at home in the garage during the bad winter months, the snow, mud and the salt on the roads would kill anyone's car. Just gonna bring back the suburban so i can get around in the dead of winter. Go find something cheaper and practical that just gets you from point A to point B. Just my opinion, either way hope you can find closure in with your dilemma

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would say sell it and use some of it on a used vehicle and put the remaining money in a 5 year cd with a decent interest rate. At the end of your studies, you would cash out plus you might get a graduation present(this is always good) and then buy yourself something really superb and live the american dream. just my 2c.!

It's a really tough decision to make!

·
Registered
537 Posts
$30k in a five year CD :yikes: Rates are decent now.\

Or help your parents or whomever pay for a full year on school. either way cant really go wrong. Ill be north of you at Endicott College this fall. They allow cars lucky for me. I bought my car knowing this already though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The initial advice you were given is sound. The depreciative loss of the cars value over the five year period is not justifiable financially-or any other way-unless you continue to use and enjoy the car during that time. In short, if you moth-ball the car, you'll lose all it's worth (in dollars) and never enjoy it. If you sell it now, you walk away with some cash in pocket. Once you decide you want to sell it, the sooner the better for you and your wallet.
:pimpin:
Well, you can't get more objective than me. I don't even know you. Here's the deal how I see it. The most hassle-free and quick solution is to sell the (entire) car. Done deal. Parting out the car might be the way to go. You might get more total dollars (not to mention fun) out of it but it might also take more time; and time is money. Either way is fine so long as the car is gone when it's time to be packing your bags and grabbing your passport. What will you be studying?
:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.