E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pushed the button to let my moonroof back and my shade goes all the way back also, so I'm like:confused:. Then I pushed the button to close and the moonroof would slide half way and go back in. :banghead:

So I pushed the button a little bit to make the moonroof come up so I can try and grab the sunshade, then my thumb gets smashed when it automatically goes back in. My thumb looks like this:thumbup: and I'm mad:mad:. In the end I couldn't close it and had to go to bed knowing that my moonroof was open until I could go to the dealer the next day.

Found out that my sunshade clips broke for the 3rd time and it's not covered under warranty cause they think its our fault:banghead:

Any of you guys had the same problem?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't like the sound of this....my clips were broken when I got my car.....dealer fixed 'em.

The broke again.....dealer said they replaced the whole track this time.....

*grrrrr*

At least both repairs were under warranty for me.....so far.

--K

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
I've had issues with it too.
got fixed under warrenty

my window regulators however keep b!tching out on me.
second one with in a month.
:banghead:

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had the same problem so i took it to the dealer. the tech told me that the reason why the clips break is that i was closing the shade when the flip roof was open. the flip roof MUST be closed before sliding the shade closed or you'll keep breakin your clips..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I put up a DIY fix for this a month or so ago.

Take out the sunroof, pull the shade and replace the clips. Reinforce the clips with some sort of heavy plastic or something and put all back together. The problem is that the sliding mechanism that catches the shade is too high and slides over the top of the shade somewhat. Then, when closing it messes up again, over and over. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes not. Over time it simply moves the shade sideways and the clip brakes. Reinforce the clips and you should be alright.

I bought my car used, dealer wouldn't help for sure. Good luck.

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 992 Carrera C2S arriving soon!!!
2,355 Posts
That's why I stay Drug free and Moonroof free! :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
topazblue46 said:
i had the same problem so i took it to the dealer. the tech told me that the reason why the clips break is that i was closing the shade when the flip roof was open. the flip roof MUST be closed before sliding the shade closed or you'll keep breakin your clips..
topazblue46 has a very good point here. When you tilt your sunroof open, the shade actually opens about 2-3 inches. If you open your sunroof all the way, then go to tilt mode, it's easy to forget you're still in tilt mode, then you try to jam the shade closed only to break your clips. I'm not saying all of you with broken clips are doing this, but it's something that everyone should be aware of.

·
T!TSLVR
1,182 Posts
I always have my sunshade open, so I guess I don't have that problem.. good to know tho!

But my sunroof is jacked too... when i tilt it up, half the time, it won't go back down.... it just tries to close, acts like it's stuck and goes back up! I end up having to click it to close a few times before it actually does it eventually!

Haven't had time to take it in yet.... so I know your pain! :mad:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I had the clips on my moonroof-sunshade replaced once (1) under warranty.

The second (2nd) time it broke, my car had exceeded its warranty coverage! Well, I found one small broken piece of the clip while I was vacuuming my car. The parts rep at my local dealer indicated there were two (2) clips that frequently break. They're usually the ones closest to the windshield (one on each side).

-I bought a brand new clip and I replaced the broken one in my car. (Somewhere $8-$15--don't remember) My sunshade works fine now. All you need is some basic tool knowledge and intuition.

Member: "aharper" noted it's not to difficult to repair. But if you're under warranty, then by all means take advantage!

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's a common problem -

BMW hasn't come up with a redesigned piece that won't break. As we see from the responses this is something that happens fairly often on the E46.

aharper - can you repost the DYI? Don't you have to take out the headliner? <- big headache!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I love my moonroof...I just never use the shade. It been open since the day I bought the car. In fact, my last car was 5 years old and the sunshade never moved from open. I live in Chicago, why would I ever close the sunshade?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts