BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened 2 days back.. there hasnt been a problem since the incident.

I was leaving for home, anyways tried turning the car on. It was a bit hesitant but it started. However when it started, My radio would not work, navigation system, headlights, indicators, sunroof, every thing was locked out. Also the lighting in the car appeared to be slightly dim. The air conditioner started but would not cool the car. Anyways i drove back home.. once home i disconnected the battery and reconnected. Turned the car on and everything seemed to be fine.

I wonder what could have caused the car to get all locked out like that. Could it be the battery is going dead. Got no clue maybe it was some electronic fault or so.

Anyways this ever happened to anyone before.

·
Registered
248 Posts
kashif said:
This happened 2 days back.. there hasnt been a problem since the incident.

I was leaving for home, anyways tried turning the car on. It was a bit hesitant but it started. However when it started, My radio would not work, navigation system, headlights, indicators, sunroof, every thing was locked out. Also the lighting in the car appeared to be slightly dim. The air conditioner started but would not cool the car. Anyways i drove back home.. once home i disconnected the battery and reconnected. Turned the car on and everything seemed to be fine.

I wonder what could have caused the car to get all locked out like that. Could it be the battery is going dead. Got no clue maybe it was some electronic fault or so.

Anyways this ever happened to anyone before.
Check out this thread from Bimmerfest.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76080
Did you just add a Blitzsafe adapter?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why so unthankfull ? :rolleyes:

Cars used to have mechanical problems that meant breaking down underway, getting your hands dirty, walking (pre cell-phone-times) to the next truck-stop, waiting for roadside assist and so on. Where those really better days ?

Nowadays your stereo and your lights start acting up so you pull into a station, unhook the battery, reconnect it and off you go with a system state like the car jst left the factory floor.

I prefer the latter. :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tierfreund said:
Why so unthankfull ? :rolleyes:

Cars used to have mechanical problems that meant breaking down underway, getting your hands dirty, walking (pre cell-phone-times) to the next truck-stop, waiting for roadside assist and so on. Where those really better days ?

Nowadays your stereo and your lights start acting up so you pull into a station, unhook the battery, reconnect it and off you go with a system state like the car jst left the factory floor.

I prefer the latter. :)
Think i was lucky a simple disconnect battery and reconnect worked:)

going electronic doesnt mean you dont get the mechanical faults that used to occur on older cars.

My bro drives a lexus gs300, which i believe doesnt have as much electronics as my car.. dam thing runs solid. Lastly we have a beater car a maxima(its a gulf spec completely different then what you have in the US, doesnt have much electronics when compared to our cars) anyways 4 years (90k miles on it) of running and no problems so far.

dunno i just think the more electronics we going to get on our cars.. the more chances we are going to have of problems occuring.

·
Registered
248 Posts
kashif said:
As noted in the link I posted I had a similar problem. I was reluctant to try the battery disconnect because I was afraid all the key/memory programming would need to be redone, which was a major pain to get right. Plus I am still under warranty so didn't want to mess anything up. Does this happen on a battery disconnect or do the settings remain? :dunno:

·
Registered
158 Posts
kashif said:

going electronic doesnt mean you dont get the mechanical faults that used to occur on older cars.

My bro drives a lexus gs300, which i believe doesnt have as much electronics as my car.. dam thing runs solid. Lastly we have a beater car a maxima(its a gulf spec completely different then what you have in the US, doesnt have much electronics when compared to our cars) anyways 4 years (90k miles on it) of running and no problems so far.

dunno i just think the more electronics we going to get on our cars.. the more chances we are going to have of problems occuring.
You´d be surprised how often disconnecting the battery will help with electronic glitches. Just like a PC. Close all windows and restart :)

And no, disconnecting the battery will not mess up your key-memory or other settings. Those are either in a flash memory or have seperate battery backup. Just as the station and audio settings of the radio.
If disonnecting the battery is too much trouble, you might as well pull the fuses. When my nav hangs (about twice a year), I just pull the two or three fuses involved and get a clean restart. (Fuses are easily accessible in the glove-compartment, so no dirty hands there).

Another trick is to lock and leave your car for at least 16 minutes. A couple of glitches can be cured by that as well since after 16 minutes of inactivity allmost all secondary aux power circuits are turned of.

BTW take all of this with an eyetwinkling please... :pimpin:

·
Registered
335 Posts
jeffreyslc said:
As noted in the link I posted I had a similar problem. I was reluctant to try the battery disconnect because I was afraid all the key/memory programming would need to be redone, which was a major pain to get right. Plus I am still under warranty so didn't want to mess anything up. Does this happen on a battery disconnect or do the settings remain? :dunno:
I recently did it and all my settings with the exception of the clock remained.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts