BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey eveyone let me ask you all a question... I have a 2003 325i sedan e46 car. I wanted to get Bi-xenon headlights, but it seems like it's a damn hassle to get them. And i would have to buy many things to accually make them run properly on my car. I found a pair of Bi-Xenon headlights at www.bekkers.com and i would not mind paying that price at all. I posted a question before about where to buy them and all i got was ebay or classified. I did that search but i'm not looking for Used or ALMOST brand new. I do'nt mind paying $1500 if i have to. All i want is Bi-xenon that accually would work with my car.... anyways Here is my question.

Regular Xenon headlights (projectors) Where would i buy them "NEW". I mean a www store not classified.

And what are the dissafantages of them? Will it look bad with my high beams on or what's the deal? I've spend 2 days searching and reading up on Bi-xenon how sometimes they get a blinker in thier dashboard and have to buy a transformer or relay... Or auto level will not work with their models, or not DOT approved. I want to buy a product that will work good with my car.

WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGED OF NORMAL XENON... will all work with my car? And is their anything i could do to my high beams to not look funny when my headlights are on? Thank you and please respond with as much info as you can... I'm really fed up of searching everywhere... I just want to buy them period... Xenon if it would work properly

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
2,047 Posts
Let's see here..

First of all, lemme state that neither will be perfectly plug and play. From what I understand, they'll flicker (2002+ cars), unless you get the software updated.

The main difference between bi-xenon and regular xenon is that the bi-xenons have a flap inside that cause the xenons to actually BE your high beams. However, your high beams will be used when you flash them.

Xenon uses the xenon bulbs only for low beams. High beams will flash and be on when you use them. When you have them on though, the xenons will turn off.

I don't know what you mean by the headlights looking funny when your high beams are on, but how often do you use them anyway? It's not like anyone else will be around when you have them on. I say: just find the best price you can on either type.

Installation to get the bi-xenons to work like OEM will be a b!tch. Gotta install sensors and stuff all around the car, not only the headlights.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just watch ebay and you'll eventually find a set of 2 for about $600. I bought a pair for a friend a while back and installed them in his car. I emailed the guy directly and got them for like $550. What happens is body shops take them out of cars and charge the insurance companies to replace them, and then the guys from the body shops sell them on ebay etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36476&item=2445758317

·
Banned
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first of let me thank you ininfinitum for your fast responce. And also explaining them to me. What i ment by funny headlights is this. Say i buy regular Xenon projector lights as getchellad posted from ebay. Now with my headlights on i will get i believe they are 4000k HID. When i flash my high beams, will the light be brighter, same, or less than my regular. from what you posted you said that My low beams will shut of and my high beams will be the only thing on when i set the high beam on and not just flash.

Getcellad thank you for your response as well. I will be on a lookout for ebay, but i would really be interested in new pair from ANYWHERE they sell them. I see the ebay they sell the right side. I accually saw that on ebay today at 6:30am.... I was searching like crazy...Anyway, does anyone know where i can just simply buy new from a site? besides ebay?

·
Banned
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ohh and one more thing.. if i find oem i think there somewhere in the line of 4000-5000k is there anyway of upgrading them to say 6000k?...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Billmister,
I took me about 3 weeks of looking on Ebay to get Bi-xenons that were in the price range that I wanted. I think I threw out the guys email address a long time ago, but he worked in a BMW dealerships body shop down in Texas and had family that workes in the same hospital as my wife so he hand delivered them to me, but he told me that he sells alot of these on ebay. Just keep checking.

Since you have an 03 car, I wouldn't buy a regular xenon. Make sure you buy the bixenons. They go for the same price on ebay, it will just take a little more patience to wait and find a pair. They starting putting the bi-xenons with bmw's of production dates ending in late 2001.

·
Banned
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how does this site sound to anyone?

http://www.xenonvalot.com

I got an email from this company about 2 weeks ago with him saying this.

"Hello,

Yes, we have them.
Bi-Litronic for 10.2001 onwards E46 880EUR / pair. Complete with ballast, igniter, housing and levelling motor.

I need to know the chassi type(coupe,cabrio,sedan,kombi) to deliver the right housings."

"We have this, yes. Bi-xenon for E46 sedan is as I described. Approximately 1000USD/pair complete with ballast+starter+lamps"

"Hello,

The headlamps are originally 5000K and 3200lm lamps. They are of make Bosch also as the housings too. Highest german quality, OEM in your car also as halogen.

The housing is E approved. I do not know (but would expect) it to have also DOT approval as many of the housings do.

We can deliver them in approx one week from your order. The price in usd is approx 1000USD."

hey $1000 on brand new Bosch or Hella i wouldn't mind paying if it comes with everything... Also on their site they have this bulb for highlights and low lights... Looks interesting if anyone want to tak a look.. http://www.xenonvalot.com/newh4bixenon.html

I think that's what he means by his bi-xenon... But from what i read... does that mean my regular high beams will not go on? only my outter light will be both low and high???!?! what do you guys think? good to buy from here or no? money is not a issue for me

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Billmister said:
Hey eveyone let me ask you all a question... I have a 2003 325i sedan e46 car. I wanted to get Bi-xenon headlights, but it seems like it's a damn hassle to get them. And i would have to buy many things to accually make them run properly on my car. I found a pair of Bi-Xenon headlights at www.bekkers.com and i would not mind paying that price at all. I posted a question before about where to buy them and all i got was ebay or classified. I did that search but i'm not looking for Used or ALMOST brand new. I do'nt mind paying $1500 if i have to. All i want is Bi-xenon that accually would work with my car.... anyways Here is my question.

Regular Xenon headlights (projectors) Where would i buy them "NEW". I mean a www store not classified.
Well, if you don't mind living with bi-xenon. Ebay and other online stores have a lot of HID kits for cars for H7 cars around $400. No projectors of course.

·
XX
376 Posts
I recently installed bi-xenon's in my 03 325i. All I did was take out the halgen headlight, put in the bi-xenon and plug it in. I thought it would be alot more complicated, but it wasn't. I made an appointment and took the car in to get flashed (and aimed properly) at the dealer, b/c they wouldn't work properly until I did that. Now they work great.
I currently only have the halogen highbeam only, but someone just posted yesterday that they got it to work (xenon highbeam) and said they were writing up a DIY, and the cost was approx $30. The only thing I didn't install was the auto leveling system, nor do I plan to.
I think the relay stuff that you are referring to applies to xenon's, not bi-xenon's.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Billmister said:
how does this site sound to anyone?

http://www.xenonvalot.com

I got an email from this company about 2 weeks ago with him saying this.

"Hello,

Yes, we have them.
Bi-Litronic for 10.2001 onwards E46 880EUR / pair. Complete with ballast, igniter, housing and levelling motor.

I need to know the chassi type(coupe,cabrio,sedan,kombi) to deliver the right housings."

"We have this, yes. Bi-xenon for E46 sedan is as I described. Approximately 1000USD/pair complete with ballast+starter+lamps"

"Hello,

The headlamps are originally 5000K and 3200lm lamps. They are of make Bosch also as the housings too. Highest german quality, OEM in your car also as halogen.

The housing is E approved. I do not know (but would expect) it to have also DOT approval as many of the housings do.

We can deliver them in approx one week from your order. The price in usd is approx 1000USD."

hey $1000 on brand new Bosch or Hella i wouldn't mind paying if it comes with everything... Also on their site they have this bulb for highlights and low lights... Looks interesting if anyone want to tak a look.. http://www.xenonvalot.com/newh4bixenon.html

I think that's what he means by his bi-xenon... But from what i read... does that mean my regular high beams will not go on? only my outter light will be both low and high???!?! what do you guys think? good to buy from here or no? money is not a issue for me

what is he selling for $1000?
Pair of BiXenon Headlights?

·
Banned
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah he's selling Bi-xenon headlights for $1000. Brand new Bosch. i think their 5000k... I posted what he responded to me when i asked him... Hey jupitar that sounds cool... so you mean i could buy xenon headlights... and just wait for the post about turning the halogen high beams into xenon?... that would be cool... If that's the case i guess i will look for xenon... But you said you installed a pair of Bi-xenon... and now have halogen highbeams... doesn't bi-xenon come with xenon high beams?

Anyways for $1000 OEM Bi-Xenon... 5000k... humm i wouldn't mind at all... what do you guys think?

·
XX
376 Posts
Billmister said:
yeah he's selling Bi-xenon headlights for $1000. Brand new Bosch. i think their 5000k... I posted what he responded to me when i asked him... Hey jupitar that sounds cool... so you mean i could buy xenon headlights... and just wait for the post about turning the halogen high beams into xenon?... that would be cool... If that's the case i guess i will look for xenon... But you said you installed a pair of Bi-xenon... and now have halogen highbeams... doesn't bi-xenon come with xenon high beams?

Anyways for $1000 OEM Bi-Xenon... 5000k... humm i wouldn't mind at all... what do you guys think?
Sorry to confuse you. I installed the bi-xenon, and person figured out how to make the bi-xenon high beam part work. Not sure what to call it exactly...anyway here is the link so you can understand what I am talking about a little better.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46813

He may have posted in on here too, but I'm not sure.

·
Banned
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh ok.. I read the post... He got left and right from ebay... damn i hate having to wait. That's a good thing though i'll save this post to go back to it when i do buy my bixenon

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Jupiter19 said:

Sorry to confuse you. I installed the bi-xenon, and person figured out how to make the bi-xenon high beam part work. Not sure what to call it exactly...anyway here is the link so you can understand what I am talking about a little better.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46813

He may have posted in on here too, but I'm not sure.

Hey..
Did you buy the OEM bi xenon setup for the facelift sedan?

Please post DIY when you can.
THanks!

·
XX
376 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:

Hey..
Did you buy the OEM bi xenon setup for the facelift sedan?

Please post DIY when you can.
THanks!
That's not me that posted the DIY thread. I just read it yesterday, and posted it to explain what I was trying to say ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dudes, that's MY post on bimmerfest.org :)

I have a full DIY in progress but, in the meantime, let me know what questions you have. You only need about $30 worth of BMW parts to get the highbeam/bixenon function to work on facelifted cars.

Halogen cars do not have the bixenon wiring from the factory, so you need to fish two wires from the LCM (light control module) out to the ballasts (one wire to each light). Takes about an hour.

You should be able to find a pair of bixenons for about $600, less if you buy them seperately like I did. Make sure the mounting tabs are intact. If both top tabs are broken off they're probably stolen.

--Scott

1 - 20 of 40 Posts