BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in to get serviced and found out that the guy who had the car before me replaced some part that wasn't from BMW so it voided my warrenty and I got stuck with a $5,000 bill. Just my luck.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
damn! sorry to hear man

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well... my car would just shut off when it idoled so i took it in plus it needed to have some inspection done aswell... I dropped it off on a saturday then they called my dad cause they couldn't get a hold of me on monday and he said they could do what ever they needed to do to fix my car and then after that they called me to tell me that, because I didn't have a BMW battery in my car, my warrenty was voided and I would have to pay the full bill. They had already done all the work so i got screwed over. It turns out that like a month before I bought the car, the guy who sold it to me replaced the battery and forgot to mention that they car had the little stalling problem. I called him after the shop called me and I guess he moved to New York and changed his number so now im out $5,000 that could have gone toward something other than this. the stupid thing is that my car still shuts off when it idols. so ya its been a good week.

·
Registered
16,058 Posts
That sounds so stupid, your shop was the one who screwed you up. $5000 is the cost of a new engine or a new tranny. Something as simple as a cam position sensor ($150 fix) an make your car stall. How come you did not ask for the codes first? they did not give you an stimate first?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was totally kept out of the whole process because me dad was the one who handled the estimate and all of that. He didnt call me to ok anything and now i have to pay.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
That doesn't make sense. A non-OEM battery should not void the warranty, I had a warranty repair done (alternator) with a non-OEM battery.

Also, they cannot do the work unless you agree to have it done. Did your father OK the work?

I would have brought it to another BMW dealership.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he OK'd it without checking with me first. The whole battery thing sounds like a bunch of **** i know, but there is nothing i could do about it because my dad signed off on the price without saying a word to me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lol. Dude, you got HAD. BIG TIME!
A battery is a battery. The shop pulled some bullsh*t excuse to bill you.
You got robbed plain and simple.

What parts did they replace, specifically? I really need to hear this.

BTW, your father is not too bright with the car stuff. I would make him pay for half of it for being dumb enough to say GO AHEAD (and rob my son)

·
Registered
785 Posts
seriously though, you got robbed big hairy donkey balls. what kind of a fkcing idle issue repair costs 5000 dollars? hahhaa non-oem battery that's a good one. well at least you'll be helping those douschebags' wallets in this sht economy.

the stupid thing is that my car still shuts off when it idols.

whoa whoa whoa wait a minute. so you just gave those guys 5000 dollars and they basically didn't even touch sht? lolllllllll. so thats how people make money.

·
Halfway to 2L
2,505 Posts
OMG. two things: you are not telling us the whole story or you were taken.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
If his story is true, it is the worst case of getting ripped off I've ever heard on this forum. I seriously think there are many holes in the story we don't have that could explain a $5000 repair that was not covered by the warranty.

·
Mod Squad
12,677 Posts
It's 'idle,' an "idol" is someone you look up to or worship.

As for the topic at hand, I think your father is the one you should have a problem with. He authorized $5K to for the shop to rob you. An aftermarket battery won't void your warranty unless the thing leaked acid and burned a hole through the floor of your car and your exhaust is now all fcuked up or something. Google "magnuson moss warranty act" re: aftermarket modifications and warranties.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts