E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 50 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mailed my backup key back to this guy in Taiwan, and he get me a new OEM waaay sexier looking diamond key. I am so much happier with the quality of this new key right now. The old one is so worn out, it makes touching the robber part to get the door open yukky.
If anyone is interested in getting a new key, PM me. :)

Attachments

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Only a retard would mail the keys to his car to some person in an foreign country.

:loco::loco::loco:
How I get to know him is because I buy keys for him on eBay. I mailed them back. I get money from PayPal from him. It's a pretty good business relationship.
Also, I visit TW about once every two years and I do know where he lives. :)

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-85558.html

according to these guys a dealer needs program the key. and also what happened to the "stealing a BMW" thread on here a couple weeks ago, everyone was saying how the keys had special magnetic microsensors and all that too...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=670743&page=6

im really confused now then. why is it that you cant just buy a key blank and have it cut at a regular key shop?
The newer key probably have the magnetic microsensor.
To find someone to get the key cut is not as easy as think, the patterns are different for each car manufacturer.
Also your key's MCU has to be blank to accept the programming at your car. The dealer can flash he key to make it programing ready so when you turn the key at the ignition, it can record the frequency and ID of your car. I don't know if a blank key would work, it might. But if it doesn't, you are back to the dealers.o

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
You sent the old key, taiwanese dude took out the old chip and swapped it with the new diamond blade. This isn't rocket science. Usually keys from dealers are programed to allow the EWS to recognize the specific chip in the key to start. OP, you should have kept your old key, bought a new one at the dealer for $200. This way, you have a higher range, newer, better key and also the old one as a backup. $100 for a shell, could have DIY.
I mail him my bakup key (without a chip). He mailed it back to me with my backup and a new diamond key.
So now I have three keys, the ugly one, the new diamond key, and the backup key. I am not that stupid to let someone switch out the shell. LOL

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
didnt someone make a diy about this?
Yes, here is the link:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537&highlight=diy+diamond+key

Took him about $100 and finding people to cut the key for him also.
If anyone is interested and wanted to get a new key but scared to let people know you physical address, do what iansanderson suggest and get a PO box for a month. I am sure the saving still beats taking it to the dealers and get a key.

BTW, you only need to mail the backup key, not the original key, so everything would operate as you normally would, providing that you don't lose your key during that time. :)

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
my diamond key has white symbols on the buttons which are worn out for the most part.

They have the key shells here if anyone likes
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16399

You'd have to replace the electronics and get the metal cut somehow
I just want to point out this is only the shell, you still have to get on eBay to buy an original key for the chips inside and have it reprogram to read your car IDs and such.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Have you replaced your sideskirts yet?
You guys watch way too many bad movies. After all, it is a E46. The street value of these are cheaper than a new Civic. Unless you got a M3, then it is same price with a new optioned out Accord. Don't get my wrong, I love my car, but realistically, it is pretty outdated right now.

BTW, if you have a Lamborghini, I will replace your key for free, just mail it to me :) with your return address. I can only do Diablo, Gallardo, and Murciélago right now.

LOL

1 - 11 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.