BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 10 years of being on the crazy roads of New York and NYC - my baby finally got tapped up!

It happened whiles on an airport run to Newark INTL last night around 6pm. We were sitting slow moving in traffic for one hour waiting to get out of Manhattan into the Holland Tunnel over to New Jersey.

It was also pouring rain and the entire city was under a tropical storm advisory.

So this 2004 Black S500 Benz in front of me starting slowly rolling back. Then the reverse lamps came on before it sped backwards right into my front end jolting me in my seat. I heard a big crunch.

I ran over yelling at the car and banging on the driver's window. I was really angry especially after sitting there for 1 hour in traffic and now getting wet by the rain. And I also hate all things Mercedes because of all the trouble I've went thru with my fiance's 2010 C300.

When the window finally came down I saw that the driver was this really old Asian man with his wife AND I saw that his shifter was still in REVERSE!!!

He didn't have a clue! He said his foot was hurting and he was trying to put the car in Park whiles waiting in traffic.

I sort of felt bad for yelling at him and he looked like he was going to have a heart attack so I just walked back to look at my car.

By that time I was completely soaked from the rain.

My bumper was smushed back in and hanging off the clips under the corner lamps. It looked like my car was frowning.

My EZ Pass/Plate bracket moldings were all smashed.

There were hundreds of cars around us in traffic that was backed up for miles and it would have been useless to call in a police report so I took his information and called his insurance company whiles sitting in traffic.

Luckily my fiance was driving in her car behind my car and saw everything. (We needed two cars for the airport run because it was 5 people and luggage being picked up)

So today the adjuster/shop said the bumper itself is fine and nothing inside the engine bay or radiator support was damaged but the bumper clips, support and all molding strips and my EZ Pass/plate bracket needs to be replaced.

Which sucks because I was hoping to get a M-Tech bumper out of the deal but still I couldn't believe my first accident in this car.

This is the only picture I was able to get that came out. I was raining really hard!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Damn asian, rolling back wards with an automatic. :banghead:
Noobs sh1ts. Hope this guy will pay you back handsomely for being a rich dumbass

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Damn asian, rolling back wards with an automatic. :banghead:
Noobs sh1ts. Hope this guy will pay you back handsomely for being a rich dumbass
I wish it was a 2011 S550 then I would've called an amberlamps and said my neck hurt.

The KBB on a 2004 S500 is like between $8,000 and $15,000. LOL!

Did he even get out of the car and see the damage?

Sorry to hear, hope things work out for you!
No his wife came out to look at the cars. Their rear bumper was scratch free. My car was messed up. They were nice about it which made me feel bad because I ran over to his car banging on his window like if I was going to pull him out and go Rodney King on that ass!

The rain was really coming down and the old guy was not healthy enough to get wet. Which is why I asked him why he was driving and not his wife in the first place!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
What really sucked is that I had NO EZ Pass to get thru the NJ turnpike tolls and George Washington Bdge tolls during the drive back home to Westchester! So I lost my EZ Pass discount and I had to wait 30 minutes in the toll lanes!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
wow, that just really sucks, sorry to hear that. i always say people that old and are not visibly healthy, should have to take a written and vision test after a certain age to see if they are still good to drive.

·
Registered
26,430 Posts
You should have yelled at him in your version of Asian...like with an accent...and gotten it out of you!

Glad it wasn't too bad and I'm glad you got that out of the way finally! You're covered for quite a while now. That's quite a unique accident! Mine was much more interesting...getting sideswiped by a car going 50 while I was basically stopped...it knocked me into a 270 degree spin...totaled my e36...you've probably heard me cry about that before...sorry!

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
noooooo!!! make sure your bumper shock absorber is good. i think you have to replace the shock absorbers each time you get into an accident greater than 5-10MPH

·
Registered
535 Posts
damn bro...sorry. thats why i carry a baseball bat in my trunk!!! haha
JK... justbe nice and all will be fine....i once hit an undercover cop back in high school.....not pretty(no pics sorry)... the cops couldnt be any faster on that one since it was their own tho.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
damn bro...sorry. thats why i carry a baseball bat in my trunk!!! haha
JK... justbe nice and all will be fine....i once hit an undercover cop back in high school.....not pretty(no pics sorry)... the cops couldnt be any faster on that one since it was their own tho.
You killed a undercover cop with a baseball bat??:pimpin:

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Damn, your car seems to have a dark cloud over it these days. At least the damage wasn't terrible (though too bad you can't get an M-tech out of it)

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if the E46 hood gets dented around the kidney grills with a scratch even at the size of a quarter some shops will tell you to replace the hood

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Damn, your car seems to have a dark cloud over it these days. At least the damage wasn't terrible (though too bad you can't get an M-tech out of it)
Yeah it must be the 10 year curse.

My 1995 318i did the same thing to me in 2005. That year I had 2 fender bender accidents and spent over $4,000 in maintenance (belts, brakes, fog lamps, coolant, AMF, oxygen sensors, tires, battery, alternator, control arms, pulleys, rear shocks and rsm, replaced seats, replaced radio, fuel filter, fuel pump, replaced odometer cluster, replaced ECU, replace OBC unit...)

Coincidentally that was the year I started to DIY a lot of my car issues because it was getting expensive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts