BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the engine blew on my new 325Ci. Less than half a year old.

The BMW dealership, and BMW Canada is telling me it's not
overed under warranty. I told them I mis-shifted from 4th to
3rd, but I wasn't even going fast enough to
over-rev the damn car. I asked for proof of wrong-doing, and
they told me they don't store that kinda stuff in the ECU for my
325 -- only M series vehicles.

Looks like my pistons are chipped, and some valves bent.

Can anyone give me advice? Why else would this happen to my
engine aside from over-rev? They're saying that's the only way.
I'm convinced I was sold a lemon.

The dealership isn't helping, and neither is BMW of Canada.

Is my only option to sue?

·
Registered
306 Posts
never like seeing this stuff happen to anyone, the story sounds fishy on bmw's part. I would fight this although i do not know how....free bump for you, help him out fellas

·
'a certain moderator'
35,562 Posts
u should never have admitted that you mis-shifted. they will hold this against you, and say that u over-reved the engine.

no way u can prove that u didnt, and no way they can prove u did, other than you admitting that you mis-shifted. :sad:

hope it works out though!

·
Registered
724 Posts
people misshift all the time...that shouldnt be held agianst you and shouldnt ruin the engine at all...i dunno about bmw but i know the toyota was misshifted a number of times(sometimes accidently into reverse) and no problems...write to bmw of canada again and try a different dealership

·
Registered
930 Posts
do a search on the "moneyshift" on the board...i think you have a similar condition....I realize you say u didnt hit the redline but BMW will not let you get away with it....good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to have a 2003 M3 conv. and everything went wrong on it...a little of it was our fault like hitting curbs and some of it was because the car had electrical problems. It then had SMG problems with shifting...well, i complained and they said it was my fault because of the other stuff that happened to the car. I kept on complaining and b****hing for months then finally they gave up and swapped me for a new car. I get to pick the color and what i want on the car. So all I can say is complain and threaten them...they will eventually do something for you. **Hint: they will either do a "Trade Asist" or "Substution of Collateral" to get u into a new car.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
Multiple bent valves and indication of valve contact on the tops of the pistons is a dead giveaway of the money shift. Even if you didn't say anything about a blown shift, any tech would instantly recognize the signs. You were not sold a lemon (at least in regards to the engine damage).

Do yourself a favor and have the car towed to a good independant mechanic and have him install a low mileage used motor. The swap will probably cost you about $3000 Canadian (motor and labor) plus whatever the dealer is going to charge you for pulling the head of your motor to diagnose the problem.

Ed

·
Registered
387 Posts
What dealership in Canada are you dealing with? Are you in Ont?What does the term "lemon" and "moneyshift" mean anyway? I've misshifted a few times and I redline my car all the time, atleast a couple times a day. Never had any problems. Sounds like you either did something really serious to your car or you just got a bad motor...which happens every so often. I race cars and there are just some motors that don't want to coperate.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,390 Posts
330Bimmer3 said:
What dealership in Canada are you dealing with? Are you in Ont?What does the term "lemon" and "moneyshift" mean anyway? I've misshifted a few times and I redline my car all the time, atleast a couple times a day. Never had any problems. Sounds like you either did something really serious to your car or you just got a bad motor...which happens every so often. I race cars and there are just some motors that don't want to coperate.
Couple times a day??!?!?! Damn you really flog your car...I have a 325 and find enough power going up to 45k...

·
'a certain moderator'
35,562 Posts
BMWERKEN said:

Couple times a day??!?!?! Damn you really flog your car...I have a 325 and find enough power going up to 45k...
45k nick? u got the SUPER 2.5L MOTOR! :D

redline is where its at :pimpin: drive it like ya stole it!

i too would try another dealer, dont mention mis-shifting, and let them diagnose the problem

·
Registered
135 Posts
ssh nick has the next generation 3 liter BMW F1 engine that revs to 45k.

The occasional shot off the rev limiter will not hurt your engine. That said, bouncing off of it is not good for your engine either. I feel sorry for whoever gets screwed when you sell your car.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Which Dealership are you dealing with?

If you're in PQ, you could pick up a M3 engine over at Camirand's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't really go to another dealership because my engine has
already been stripped down. No use going into a different
dealership with a strippped down engine. They'll figure I was
turned away somwhere else.

And it's not the bad motor that pisses me off -- it's that BMW
turned their back before they even knew what happened. They
told me it would be $700 out of MY pocket before even stripping
down the engine!

Before they even knew what the problem was, they're telling me
I have to pay for it.

Every car company puts out a lemon every once in a while (Friday
afternoon, last engine of the day), but it's how the car company
responds to this that really makes the difference, and I must
admit --I'm totally disappointed. I was soo looking forward to an
M3 in 3 years, and now all I can think about is getting rid of my 325. It sucks.

Funny thing is that BMW thinks that by doing this to me, they will
save $15k for a new engine. I come from a family of BMW lovers,
and they are all disgusted too with my treatment. I am already
convincing them to look to Mercedes for their next purchase if
BMW does not come through.

I'll make sure it costs them more than 15k......as malicious as
that sounds, I don't want to see the car anymore -- especially
not in my family.

·
Registered
274 Posts
actually have to disagree here...

Ed, i have to disagree with you here--you give BMW mechanics too much credit. As you might recall, I misshifted on my car (5th-2nd going 80) and the mechanic wasn't actually able to diagnose the problem (after several attempts over a period of 2 weeks) and was only able to do so after I nudged him in the right direction.

my advice on the situation is this:
walk in there and get pissed: reinform them that you spent $3x,000 (or whatever the number) on this car and to deny you anything is out of the question. just be persistent.

best of luck.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Why sue when damage was result of driver error?
This USA style Sue this, sue that, oh I burnt my lips on hot coffee, now sue MacDonalds mentality is what pushes your insurance rates.

In this case, misshift from 4-3 instead of 4-5 can do serious damage even though you won't see the rev limiter going all the way past redline because the engine is already damaged and spun out before the rev counter can show you.
Bent valves etc is a clear sign of driver error.

Just accept error, get a salvaged engine or let them fix it(700 is quite cheap to fix!!!) and drive happily ever after.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have misshifted my car twice, both times from 3 to 2. rev meter flew up to around 7k. No probs with anything though, guess i am lucky...

·
Registered
177 Posts
file a complaint against bmw with bmw of na! Do not mention anything about misshift. Make sure you let them know you are disgusted and that you are ready to take this to court. Make sure you speak to a lawyer and let him know what happened. BMW of NA will respond to this threat not immediately, but eventually. Don't just sit there act now! start calling and *****ing bmw of na left and right, and the dearlship too.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
THat sucks and is very unfortunate. I wish you the best of luck with the situation.

But I don't see how your car is a lemon?? The damage was caused by you missing a shift. THe worst thing you could've done was tell them you did. Good Luck..

1 - 20 of 68 Posts