BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have had a constant oil leak since i purchased my 2001 325Ci. I couldn't narrow down the cause. I thought maybe the oil filter housing or the oil pan gasket... however, when i changed my oil i noticed something interesting...

The brass washer had a groove in it, but the new filter and gasket set had a flat brass washer. I found it interesting but thought it was just because of a different brand of filter. However, since i have changed the oil and replaced the brass washer, the LEAK HAS STOPPED!!

Sometimes BMW's are complicated, but sometimes it is the simple things. Awesome!!!

Just wanted to share! Have a good weekend!!

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
It's amazing how it's always the tinyest of things that make the biggest mess.

My hose clams on the Power Steering hoses coming from the resevoir went bad, causing a small leak, leading to a HUGE 5-10 drip a night leak.

Just for a $0.39 part. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The grooved copper washer is a reused one. The groove was caused by the previous deformation. I see that all the time and that's why I do oil changes myself.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
And once every 10 years, I change the o-rings on the top of my dipstick!

Oh, yes, you can get them!
I did that!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
And once every 10 years, I change the o-rings on the top of my dipstick!

Oh, yes, you can get them!
There are o rings on the dip stick?!

What does changing that do?

·
Registered
26,417 Posts
lol.

oh he was just being funny.

:hmm:
Del, I'm in a place where it's more important to get these 2 o-rings than my rear seat cupholder! It just makes it tighter is all. After I did it, I ended up getting a new dipstick anyway...don't want to re-live that whole mess here again!

But, if anyone wants my old dipstick with two fresh o-rings on it, let me know! (I know...PM sent!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts