BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I over heated my car one day by not tightening the radiator cap on right so i let it cool and fill it with water. I turn it on and find my engine started making a knock noise and I know it wasn't the vanos. It scared me and I drove it home asap. I get home pull apart the whole valve cover to see if I could find the problem. It was like a wierd knock noise twords the rear of the engine. I couldn't find the problem!:cry: So i said F it right and assembled everything back on. I drive the car for about a month and the knocking continued. So then It hit me to actually check the spark plugs. I check my 5th and 6th spark plug to find they were loose as hell!:banghead: I tighten them give it a crank and the noise was gone!!! They were so loose I was able to move them with my hand and the socketwith no pressure! So I'm writing this to everyone who has a knocing noise that sounds like this one in this video.

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHYlYqO6Vs

I want to save you some time and help you avoid the mistake I did. Check your spark plugs before anything lol. :idea:

Good luck

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahah well the thing was it didn't affect much of the performance at all. Everything still ran like it should. Rps were perfect.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hahah well the thing was it didn't affect much of the performance at all. Everything still ran like it should. Rps were perfect.
Well, that's probably not true, but that just goes to show how inaccurate the butt dyno is. A rod hitting the cylinder walls (which sounds different, more clanky and less poppy) wouldn't have slowed you down much either, until it shot through the side of your engine spraying oil onto the exhaust manifold and setting your car on fire :p

But yeah. Generally it's good practice not to say "F it" and drive for a month before you've found critical problems with engines. You're waaaaaaay lucky.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
one of my spark plugs were loose too. so i drove to my shop to get it replace and when i took off the covers and stuff and took out number 3, i noticed that it had some oil blow by past the ceramic too.so NGK iridiums might be hit or miss but some have a bad epoxy problem where oil blows by a little.

it's fine to drive your car like this to the repair shop or for an hour. its when you drive it for more than that is when there is a problem.

i ended up replacing all my plugs cause they all had blow by.

·
Registered
806 Posts
ya...

... thats real good for the top plug-hole threads which get full of crap due to a loose plug. Were the threads chased and cleaned up before new plugs went in?

Good luck in the future getting the plugs out...:facepalm:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I over heated my car one day by not tightening the radiator cap on right so i let it cool and fill it with water. I turn it on and find my engine started making a knock noise and I know it wasn't the vanos. It scared me and I drove it home asap. I get home pull apart the whole valve cover to see if I could find the problem. It was like a wierd knock noise twords the rear of the engine. I couldn't find the problem!:cry: So i said F it right and assembled everything back on. I drive the car for about a month and the knocking continued. So then It hit me to actually check the spark plugs. I check my 5th and 6th spark plug to find they were loose as hell!:banghead: I tighten them give it a crank and the noise was gone!!! They were so loose I was able to move them with my hand and the socketwith no pressure! So I'm writing this to everyone who has a knocing noise that sounds like this one in this video.

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHYlYqO6Vs

I want to save you some time and help you avoid the mistake I did. Check your spark plugs before anything lol. :idea:

Good luck
how did you remove the valve cover and not fiddle with the coils and plugs?!

i smell something..

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not necessary to remove the spark plugs when you remove the whole valve cover. I would know.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes they were!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By my surprise they were actually not dirty or clogged up in any way.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't put new plugs i simply took it out and it seemed good and tightened it back in with no problem.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow! that sounds horrible! Glad 4u that it was only loose spark plugs. Sounds much worse than that. Chas
PS: Only use NGK Plugs. Anything else is second rate. Chas

·
Registered
190 Posts
........................................:tsk:
check your plugs!!!... i would remove them and check them Asap!!! that's some major misfiring there:eek:

·
Registered
951 Posts
This has happened to me twice.....next time Im just going to replace them all

1 - 20 of 24 Posts