E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aright so I just installed the BFP intake, which took about 3 hours and I did a pretty bad job, but it's a first. After being yelled at by my parents about "if you screw up this car we'll kill you" etc etc etc.... i'm startin to realllllly worry. Please people post good (or bad) experiences with your Benfer's... I'm sure it's a solid product, but I could really use some reassurance... THANKS

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
I hope you bought the bypass valve, so you don't hydrolock your car over a deep puddle....other then that, theres nothing to worry about.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i have the valve, but I dunno I did a JUNKY job installing everything... do any bay area fanatics wanna hang out for a few minutes in the SJ area and just peep it really quick? Like saturday or sunday maybe?

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
as long as ur filter is on correctly, u are safe to drive i would assume.... if u are that worried, i am sure some SoCal fanatic would take a look at it for you :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
No and no. Run a search I've posted plenty on this. It doesn't void any part of the warranty. If the part causes a problem and they can prove that it caused the problem then thet can deny warranty work on things it directly cause. And no, it is not illegal. U're good to go :thumbup:

·
Registered
892 Posts
California emission control laws do not allow for any modification of the emission control system from stock components, unless those components have been granted a CARB exception. The air filter/box is one of those components, and so, pretty much any intake will make your car illegal under CA emissions laws. Dinan is supposed to have exception pending, but it's been a while already.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Wow, that really does suck for you CA boys. So you have to swap it back when u get emission tests?

·
Registered
846 Posts
yeah..i got questions with BFP intake myself too, after i installed mine.
the bottom of the K&N cone is sitting rite on top of the fog light. It's actually sort of sitting on it..is this normal? I emailed Steve, but didn't really get a reply from him..soo...

jlevi..is urs also sitting sort of on top of the fog light?

·
Registered
874 Posts
One thing....make sure when you insert the pipe into the valve, that you don't stick the intake pipe in too far---there is a little groove. Second, and most importantly, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE BYPASS VALVE OR IT WILL NOT WORK. It should be snug, not tight. If the clamps start "choking" the valve and cause it to bend, then it is too tight.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i didn't use my bracket too ... i found it to b useless~
Im plannin' to go to like HOme Depot or somethign to get a piece of metal and make a bracket by myself cuz i dun really like it sitting in there without any support...

jlevi..u drove aorund with it yet?

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL i started my car, revved up a bunch, sounds ok, but my dad is sooooo pissed... he says i havta go to BMW and get them to approve of it... that won't work out too well huh?
Someone, saturday we'll roll... if someone is near like westgate mall or something, i dont want anyone going out of they're way for my little queries.... thanks guys---PM me if you wanna meet or hit me up on AIM

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'd look at it but I've never done an install before so I couldn't say. Just makesure it seems secure. If it looks like its going to fall off thats obviously not good.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SpeedinBlueBimmer said:
I'd look at it but I've never done an install before so I couldn't say. Just makesure it seems secure. If it looks like its going to fall off thats obviously not good.
LOL i figured that one out, i think i should put the bracket in...
My 30,000 maintenence is coming up, BMW isn't gonna give me **** are they?

·
Registered
189 Posts
JLevi,

We have a guy in the bay area who can look at the intake for you on Monday or Tuesday if you can drive to the south bay (Mtn. View area). PM me and I can arrange for this.

-SB

P.S. On coupes we recommend removing the bumper and dremmeling the brake duct (a-la Dinan) so that the filter can point straight down without crunching the foglight. If you want our guy to do this for you, I can make a short list of tools needed to remove the bumper, dremmel, etc.

P.P.S. A friend of mine has a contact at Stevens Creek BMW who I can ask about warranty/service work. Let me know when you're taking it in and I can see if you have to replace the airbox or not. (Some dealers look past intakes with no problems, others aren't so flexible) If you're going in for a service, they shouldn't have a problem anyway... It's warranty work that they can get picky about.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts