E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I finally ordered the P Zero Neros from Gary, and I had them installed locally.

I didn't make any judgements on them for the first few hundred miles, but now that they have about 600 on them, I figure they aren't going to get any better at this point.

Gary was exactly right when he said they don't handle quite as well as the stock Conti. The differences are not THAT noticeable as far as grip, and loss of traction point. The BIG difference I notice is the fact that they have a VERY slow response time compared to the Contis.

It's almost like when you turn the wheel at any speed, there is at least .25-.35 second delay before the tire responds, and the car starts to turn. With the Conti, I noticed no delay at all.

The other day I drove a loaner while mine was in for inspection, and the loaner had no sport package. It occured to me that going from stock Contis to P Zero Neros is like losing the sport package. The sensation is the same.

Unfortunately these have amazing treadlife ratings, so it looks like I'll have them for a WHILE.

:bawling:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just for the record, these are the M+S ones, not the summer version, right?

I want to be sure anyone reading this is clear, thanks in advance for clarifying.
Hmm. . I think so. They are the ones with a 400 treadwear rating. I didn't know there was a summer one. :cry:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Hantra said:
Hmm. . I think so. They are the ones with a 400 treadwear rating. I didn't know there was a summer one. :cry:
It will say M+S on the sidewall if its the all season tire, and yes the 400 wear rating would be all season. The Summer only nero has a 220 rating.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've put about 2k on mine and I agree with your observation.
I went from 225/45 17 Contis to 235/40 18 PZero Nero M&S and the ride actually got a tad softer when it should have been harsher. The reason, I found, was that the M&S tire sidewalls are more compliant than a summer tire so that you get a softer ride. I actually like the softer ride but I do miss the handling and apparently they're exclusive to each other :cry:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Hantra said:
Unfortunately these have amazing treadlife ratings, so it looks like I'll have them for a WHILE.

:bawling:

if you're really unhappy with the tires, you can always try to sell them used to someone else on this forum or on ebay. sure you'll lose some money, but at least you will not be stuck with tires that you are not happy with.

·
Are we there yet??
6,352 Posts
I have the P Zero NEros and I love them. Yes they are definetly a bit softer then summer tires but hey they arent summer tires. You lose a little bit of cornering and hardness (personally I like the ride better) for a better ride and almost DOUBLE the tread life. I have had several different M&S tires and these are my fav so far, althought I hear the Goodyears are really good too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have had SO3's, Contis, and Pilotsports and must say that my current PZero Nero (summer) not (Mud&Snow) are the best of the bunch.
No tramlining, very quiet, great treadlife, cheaper, and corner very close to the top rated SO3's.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vics said:
I have had SO3's, Contis, and Pilotsports and must say that my current PZero Nero (summer) not (Mud&Snow) are the best of the bunch.
No tramlining, very quiet, great treadlife, cheaper, and corner very close to the top rated SO3's.
I must be a complete moron. I had no idea that M+S stood for Mud + Snow. In central NC, we don't get much of either. So I screwed that purchase up pretty good. . . :thumbdwn:

·
Are we there yet??
6,352 Posts
Hantra said:
I must be a complete moron. I had no idea that M+S stood for Mud + Snow. In central NC, we don't get much of either. So I screwed that purchase up pretty good. . . :thumbdwn:

Oh wow, no wonder you dont like them you are used to buying summer tires lol! Yea these things are awesome M&S tires but definetly will have much slower turn in then a summer tire will.

Put it this way though they do have 400 tread wear rating :thumbup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Staszek said:
Oh wow, no wonder you dont like them you are used to buying summer tires lol! Yea these things are awesome M&S tires but definetly will have much slower turn in then a summer tire will.

Put it this way though they do have 400 tread wear rating :thumbup:
:impulss:

Yep. . I'm a moron. . Arrgh. . .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have the Pzero Neros too (non M+S), and love them made a huge difference in the way the car handles. I would say that before anyone does suspension mods (other than for a drop) is to go out and buy a good set of tires and really see what the stock suspension is capable of.

·
Registered
281 Posts
So how do these compare to the Mich. Pilot Sport All season tires?

DJ

Jspeed said:
You might want to try setting the air pressure closer to 40 psi if it's currently in the low 30's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Nero M+S on my 325i and my Integra's street wheels and would buy them again. It's the best compromise between handling, noise (none), and treadlife. The 225/45/17 are on the heavy side if you're worried about weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts