BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to open the clear plastic cover. To make long story short, I broke the plastic.

What I want to know is:

Can I get replacement cover without purchasing the whole cluster which is like over $200?

Is there anyway to FIX the crack?? such as fill in with some clear resin:dunno: because I don't want to spend that much money for a new cluster

What are my options?? any suggestion?:banghead:

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
did that too... I think you'd have to go to a wreckers and find it.,... I did that too, and couldn't but the plastic seperate... luckily one of my friends owns a wrecking yard and got one for me...

·
Registered
129 Posts
New Cluster housing

Check out these sites for parts breakdowns of the cluster and e-mail the companies to see if you can replace the lens. Just because it shows the whole cluster, doesn't mean they might not sell just the lens.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=selectTree&CatalogID=2&siteid=823

In this diagram it is item #1 but not listed with a price.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=selectTree&CatalogID=2&siteid=823

Here is a site that has just the cluster housing, which is what you want, used (which may mean off of a wrecked car with outside body damage only.) Try these guys first...http://www.usedbmwparts.com/partslistbav.htm

Also go to Auto Zone or a place like that and buy a kit called Fix a Windshield - Do-It-Yourself WINDSHIELD Repair Kit made by Pennzoil-Quaker State, call 800-416-1600 M-F 9am-5pm.

It has resin and plastic sheets to help repair the crack. I used lots of different kinds and only this works on big cracks and chips.

Your crack is long and deep (at least that is what she wants you to believe anyway) and may not be able to be repaired. Sorry to hear that happened. I scratched mine with sandpaper trying to remove some glue, but fixed it with that kit.

Good luck.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
sorry but u gonna have to buy a new cluster :sad:

·
Beware of pwner
1,758 Posts
Were you trying to install the silver gauge rings?

I almost took a flat screwdriver to it, but luckily I didn't.

Sorry it happened.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lquid metal: thanks for giving me a lot of information, I appreciate it. I'll try to look into that.

Malladawg: yupp I was trying to install my silver gauge rings, but things went disastrous:cry: Now I have to buy a whole new cluster:banghead:

srcstc: check your PM

·
Registered
700 Posts
Damn dude...

You posted a question last night about the cover coming off.. I answered you 8 mins later.... tellin gyou no that its not possible....

You couldnt wait 8 mins to check back.... sorry to hear.....

Next time you might want to consider checking on instructions before you start any DIY.... and you may want to follow up on your own posts... It might save you a lot of headaches and $$$...

Good luck, I tried...

John V

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54358

·
Ballin'
2,443 Posts
Re: New Cluster housing

Liquid Metal said:
[/url]

Also go to Auto Zone or a place like that and buy a kit called Fix a Windshield - Do-It-Yourself WINDSHIELD Repair Kit made by Pennzoil-Quaker State, call 800-416-1600 M-F 9am-5pm.

It has resin and plastic sheets to help repair the crack. I used lots of different kinds and only this works on big cracks and chips.
That sounds sketchy....

·
Registered
129 Posts
It may sound sketchy, but better to try and fail than to have never tried and wasted $300+.:banghead:

·
Sofa-king-what
2,030 Posts
..that is...

I suppose that you was trying the same thing I tried... to remove that plastic........right???:tongue:

that is only fault of chromed rings........in Diy no ones told you how is difficult to glue rings upside down..

:thumbdwn: :thumbup: :thumbdwn: :thumbup: :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yea, it took me all of 3 seconds to figure out that the lens didn't come off. I figured that since I didn't see anything holding it in place and it wouldn't come off by prying with my fingernail, then it wasn't supposed to come off.

I learned long ago, that if it has to be pried off, it's not meant to come off.:banghead: :D

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
Liquid Metal said:
I learned long ago, that if it has to be pried off, it's not meant to come off.:banghead: :D
Very very true. Dman that pic hurts my heart. Working with the dash cluster appears to be a landmine field IF (I stress IF) you do not know what you are doing:tsk:

·
Registered
644 Posts
:yikes: :yikes:

And I was worried about the glue streak in my console ... very sorry to see. Definitely try junkyards in your area. You might even be able to find a junkyard somewhere else that will mail to you, or another fanatic that would help you with such a service.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey, what's up ardi!! How was Vegas, bro?

I wouldn't try repairing the lense...I don't think you'll be happy with the results. I would look for the housing from a parts yard. Call Foster Auto Parts on Monday. If they don't have it, they have a national database they can check.

Brian said you were trying to call me about the CF headlight trim?!?! PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]. I can't find your number.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have Cluster housing with silver rings.

I have a Cluster housing to sell. It comes of 2001 330CiC.
I live in Portland Or.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts