BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Five minutes to make sedan Xenons fit a coupe?!?

I bought a set of what were supposed to be 2002 OEM coupe Bi-Xenons off a guy on another BMW board. When they arrived, I realized it was one coupe light and one sedan light. I'm not too happy about this, but I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake and he didn't know. I emailed him about it, complaining about how he never told me it was one sedan light and one coupe light, and that it would be a lot of work to switch the internals from the sedan housing and transplant it into one of my old Halogen coupe housings. This is what he sent me, what do you guys think (especially srcstc)? Does it make any sense?

"i assure you it takes about 5 minutes....you aren't swapping guts just the lense...

1-with the lense facing you, there is a rubber seal on the top with 5 slide in tabs....release them from the back and remove the seal(very easy)

2-then there are 7 larger tabs that hold the lense on, lift up on them and the lense will loosen up(may need a small screwdriver) when removing the lense there is a vacumn seal holding it to the lamp, work slowly from the bottom and it will come right off, you may have to go and lift each tab as you work around the light

3-do the same on your halogen light,and transpose the lenses....sometimes depending on the manu. date you need to switch the black insert too...this also is very simple...

4-there are 4 slide in tabs holding that to the light...very gently pull from the bottom inside corner(closest to high beam) and work you way clockwise

5-you will see the rubber seal in the track when all is removed. upon re-assembly juts make sure you get a tight seal with the lense or you will get condensation in side....do not try to clean the inside of the plastic lense, it will scratch...also on the outer lower edge of the light(low beam side) is a small "u" shaped opening, make sure the lense does not fold over one of the tabs b/c that is the #1 place you will get a unsolid seal"
I know I talked to srcstc about his swap experience, and he said it would take about 3 hours. I have a feeling what this guy is outlining wouldn't work because I think the entire housing is a different size. Figured I'd run it by all of you first before I completely discount it. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
this procedure is right all you have to do is change the glass...the black part that holds the internals is exactly the same.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i'll take your sedan one if you don't end up using it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
they are the same....the only reason jason didn't use the housings was because the tabs were broken...or at least that is how we made it seem...i had to switch housings for mine because the housings the lights came in were demolished but if they were in good shape i would have only had to change the lenses

·
Banned
2,201 Posts
<b>bnl107:</b> Do the housings look the same? If they do... remove one of your headlights and try installing the sedan Xenon in it's place. Then we'll know for sure if they fit or not.

Rich

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It worked. Only problem is that both lights (both the one I switched from sedan to coupe and the one which was originally from a coupe) sit back about 1/8 inch more than the Halogens did so they don't line up with the hood or the fenders.

Any ideas how to fix this?

·
Banned
2,201 Posts
bnl107 said:
It worked. Only problem is that both lights (both the one I switched from sedan to coupe and the one which was originally from a coupe) sit back about 1/8 inch more than the Halogens did so they don't line up with the hood or the fenders.

Any ideas how to fix this?

That's odd... can you take a pic?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts