E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
67,000 miles and the transmission has gone out!!!!!! I mean WTF!?!?!?! You would think a car that retails for $35-45k would have a better transmission that would at least make it to 100k miles. All the problems I've had with this car are absolutely ri****ingdiculous and I could probably find a 1995 Honda Civic that has better reliability that this car does.

Short story. I developed an interesting wobble on the front left of the car about 3 weeks ago. Checked everything out and it was good to go...couldn't see anything at all. Today I'm driving down the freeway and I am cruising and decide to change lanes. In the process of changing lanes I slowly apply the gas, and to my surprise the tach goes up to 4000 rpm but the car didn't go anywhere. So I'm like "FvCK" I pull over and the tranny sounds like is a rock tumbler. I put it in reverse same thing. Abso****inglutely ridiculous for "the ultimate driving machine."

·
Registered
805 Posts
Very strange. Did you ever notice the tranny losing fluid at any time prior to this?

No slippage before it just blew up? That is weird.

Oh, and do you have the steptronic, and did you ever change out the "lifetime" fluid?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very strange. Did you ever notice the tranny losing fluid at any time prior to this?

No slippage before it just blew up? That is weird.

Oh, and do you have the steptronic, and did you ever change out the "lifetime" fluid?
Yeah I've got the step...but I never personally did anything to the tranny fluid. The car had no leaks though. It was developing a wobble/rough spot during acceleration for about 3 weeks prior to this though.

That's why I love forums, you can find out what options not to get. Sorry for your loss, manual trans retrofit?
Yeah, in retrospect I'm sure I would have gotten the Manual, but again at 67k you shouldn't expect a tranny to blow on a $45k car!!!! I've got the car at a tranny shop and they will let me know what the damage is next week. Once it's fixed it's going to a dealership to be traded in.

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
well, now you have the chance to do a manual swap, and forget about these issues for the future.

sorry to hear, man :( GL

·
Registered
681 Posts
A car is a car, its got tons of parts... all of which can go bad. Ill agree, you'd hope with cars like ours stuff like this wouldnt happen, but that is the nature of a machine. Time after time I see cars fresh off the lot, broken down on the side of the freeway. It's all luck of the draw.... on the bright side... if you think you got screwed, check out this guy!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/06/14/pricey_lemon/index.html

The moral of my story, a problem with a car doesn't necessarily mean its a POS. Just my 2 cents. GL.

·
Banned
7,739 Posts
dont blame BMW for the faulty transmission.......blame General Motors (theyre the ones that build it!!)

not all the trannys

and that seems really low. I'd take it to the deal, i know i know its the stealership but still if you have such a low mileage car that is pretty bad. take it to them see if they will cover any of it and if they wont call up BMWNA

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Sound like the F drum has broekn inside the trans, aftermarket sells a stronger drum.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not all the trannys

and that seems really low. I'd take it to the deal, i know i know its the stealership but still if you have such a low mileage car that is pretty bad. take it to them see if they will cover any of it and if they wont call up BMWNA
I've already emailed BMWNA...didn't think I would ever have to do that.

I realize what some of you are saying about things break etc., etc. But the simple matter of fact is that a 2002 car (any car) with 67k on the clock shouldn't be prone to having transmission problems. People wouldn't buy any car if they knew the tranny would drop at 67,000, hell even a 100k. My Dads Cadillac has 143000 miles on it and the tranny has had zero problems. Chevy trucks can go 100+k and not have problems...Honda's etc, same thing. But these cars are supposed to be the some of the best and you should not expect things to go worng with cars like these.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah, sounds like BMW's "step" transmissions aren't the strongest for longevity. Heck, my parents 15-year old Lexus LS 400 has 190K miles and the same transmission. Only a hint of it's age can be detected. Sorry to hear of the issues. :( Hopefully this "f-drum" might be an answer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just as BMW tires to push the Lifetime Fluids, it should also gaurantee the equipment that those fluids are used for..Hence giving Lifetime Guarantee for Trannys to begin with.

I have a step and i have strted using manual mode most of the time now. I have 63K miles and its going strong. I also am thinking of getting the tranny fluid changed at the dealership. Thinking if i keep the car till 100k (CPO'ed) any issues there should be covered!

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I agree that Manual is a much better option but @ 67k miles it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hell no, fvck, Hyundai has a 100k mile warranty. But nooooo, my car that cost 3x's more than a brand new Hyundai has a fvcking tranny that craps at 67k!!!! I'm still so fvcking pissed about this, it's unfvcking real!!!!:ben: :tsk: :cry: :mad: :wtf:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you ever change the tranny oil?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts