E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the cap on the hydraulic tensioner pulley so I can de-tension the belt to get at the water pump. I searched, but didn't see anything directly related to removing the cap.. just 'remove the cap'.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=408950&d=1310166474

Part #18

Is there a tool that I'm missing to get this off without breaking the plastic pulley?

I just want to get this stupid thing off to get the car back together. I had no prob getting the A/C belt off because it's mechanical tensioner, but I can't get the hydraulic pulley cap off.

Any advice?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha.. wow that was easy.

Thanks man. Now I just need to find my 3" extender for my rachet. I bet they have one at the hardware store.

Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I've noticed about working on this car compared to say the mustangs I worked on earlier in life... When you're working on a BMW, if something is hard to do, you're probably doing it wrong.

·
Registered
551 Posts
That's what I've noticed about working on this car compared to say the mustangs I worked on earlier in life... When you're working on a BMW, if something is hard to do, you're probably doing it wrong.
True statement, I have been impressed with how maintenance friendly many of the designs are on the BMW systems.

On your tensioner, It takes a lot of torque be careful not to let the bit twist under torque, you may need a breaker bar for leverage. Best if you use both hands and have someone else slip off the belt.

Be double sure to use the correct size torx bit, the next size down feels like it fits but will strip the torx if used.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm already done. Just waiting on the aluminum pulley on the mail truck and i'll be on the road. EMP Stewart pump and new thermo installed.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK, good thing the mail isn't here yet, or I probably wouldn't have noticed; it looks like the bearing in the tensioner pulley is shot. Looks like I'm going to be in the civic for another few days.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey,

I didn't have a DIY. Are you trying to get the pulley off or the whole unit? The pulley is just an 8mm hex; the people who say it's a torx must be talking about the mechanical one. I used a brake caliper 8mm socket on a 2' breaker bar and it came off easy. Then you can get to the mounting bolts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey,

I didn't have a DIY. Are you trying to get the pulley off or the whole unit? The pulley is just an 8mm hex; the people who say it's a torx must be talking about the mechanical one. I used a brake caliper 8mm socket on a 2' breaker bar and it came off easy. Then you can get to the mounting bolts.
Tensioner itself

1 - 12 of 12 Posts