E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
can anyone explain the difference between the HRE 440r series and 540 series (i.e. 449r and 549)? There site doesn't really explain it that well. thanks.

·
Wide Ass on 20's
729 Posts
4XXR series is different from the 5XX regular series in a few visible ways.. Well you can do this comparison with the 5XX and 5XXR

the "R" in the 4XX series stands for Reverse lip. This is a flat across dish which is polished and gives the rim a bigger appearance. It gives it a bigger appearance because the spoke can go all the way to the end of the rim

They are both 3 piece forged wheels as far as I know. 4 and 5 have different styles, and the 5XX series seem to "curve out" while the 4XX look more flat.

A standard 5XX has a bevelled "step" lip which doesn't go straight across. The spoke section won't be as big as a reverse lip wheel

I'm not 100% sure about the construction of the wheel. I learned this all before, but I forget details

There is a reason 5XX series is more expensive than 4XX series!

Hope this helps a BIT

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. thanks! That was a big help. I think the 449r's are much doper :pimpin: :pimpin:

·
Wide Ass on 20's
729 Posts
GBX330ci said:
Wow. thanks! That was a big help. I think the 449r's are much doper :pimpin: :pimpin:
I actually like the curved spoke of the 549! The R lip looks better on some cars. But i think for a "classy" look the non R lip adds a nice touch

Nice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts