BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up guys. So my cars doing 555rwhp/456lbs on pump and 657rwhp/561lbs on pump/meth and I decided to take my car out tonight to fulfill the boost craving I've had all week... Had my factory traction control off, HPF traction control on sport and hit the freeway.. and am going sideways at 100mph.. Switched to race mode, which helped with traction a little.. but am still going sideways at 120....

These HPF cars are scary fast... every time I put my foot down for full boost my heart is trying to escape from my chest.. Now I just recently had an exhaust leak in my exhaust manifold fixed, which I had repaired by HPF, and before the fix I felt like I can control the power somewhat, but now that the car is pushing full boost... uhhhh it's pretty scary..

I really wonder what setup you guys with the stage 2.75, 3, and 4s have on your car to keep you grounded and going straight? I'm running KW V2s and Nitto NT05s in the rear 275/30/19s. I heard that switching to Pro EFI helps with traction, is this true and if so is it a big difference? Does it come with it's own traction control switches/settings? I have the V1 AEM EMS on there right now.

I also saw a HPF video of Chris teaching how to completely turn off the traction control on the M3s by holding down the DSC button, while the key is in position 2, for 10 seconds. The brake light should then turn yellow and the traction triangle will remain on. I tried this on my car and after holding down the DSC button for more than 10 seconds the yellow triangle just turned off (traction control turning back on). It didn't seem to work for my M3 (I have a 2003). Let me know what you guys think.. oh and I'm sure you all already know this but the power that these HPF turbos put out is incredible! Lol sorry.. as you can see I haven't driven my car for a little bit.. :loco:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds more like you have bad RTAB's or your diff is wearing out. My car which is also a 2.5 will spin tires on the freeway easily but I go in a straight line. I am running Toyo T1R's or S's which ever is the newer one in the same size you have and my tires are not known for their amazing traction. Just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds more like you have bad RTAB's or your diff is wearing out. My car which is also a 2.5 will spin tires on the freeway easily but I go in a straight line. I am running Toyo T1R's or S's which ever is the newer one in the same size you have and my tires are not known for their amazing traction. Just my 2 pennies.
Rear end is making some noises when turning.. Planning on having the diff oil changed next week to see if I can get rid of the noise. Could that potentially solve the problem?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
With a brand new rear end, brand new tires, brand new mounts, rtabs, etc.. I was going sideways at 50, 80, 100.. just sideways.. and violent.. not like oh thats cute it kicked out a bit... I'm talking "oh **** I just passed that lady sideways" kinda ****.

and that was on just pump.. sport/race.. didn't matter.. **** was sideways. Now granted I had some stretched rubber and SUPER stiff suspension.. not the best setup for traction..

I'm anxious to see how the ProEFI Traction control works so I can be more 'confident' in the car.. the way it stood as is I didn't feel comfortable anymore getting on it unless the condition, road and all variables were perfect..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a brand new rear end, brand new tires, brand new mounts, rtabs, etc.. I was going sideways at 50, 80, 100.. just sideways.. and violent.. not like oh thats cute it kicked out a bit... I'm talking "oh **** I just passed that lady sideways" kinda ****.

and that was on just pump.. sport/race.. didn't matter.. **** was sideways. Now granted I had some stretched rubber and SUPER stiff suspension.. not the best setup for traction..

I'm anxious to see how the ProEFI Traction control works so I can be more 'confident' in the car.. the way it stood as is I didn't feel comfortable anymore getting on it unless the condition, road and all variables were perfect..
Have you gotten a go with the Pro EFI traction yet?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
I never used the HPF tc. It wasn't quite what I expected. I think you are better off running no TC and just learning the cars tendencies. At least you know it will always kick out to the right. lol. But I agree, I would check the diff first and maybe upgrade to an OS Giken to see if that helps. The rtabs should be fine on that car.

The ProEfi tc is supposed to be one of the best setups available. I have heard of people pulling out Racelogic to run the ProEfi tc which is saying something.

·
Registered
409 Posts
OP, your OEM diff should not be making noise.. Definitely drain the fluid and inspect it for any particles. As others mentioned also inspect your RTAB's (are you using OEM or poly?) as torn bushings will cause issues under load. Also have you had a recent alignment (post camber/toe) and what tire pressure are you running in the rear? With your power level the NT05's should be getting traction in 2nd gear and up so something is definitely off with your car.

I would attribute that mostly to your tires ;) If I recall you were running Falken FK452's? With your car you should be running an extreme performance summer tire at a minimum (AD08, RE11, NT05, etc..) when on the street. With a proper set of tires and the ProEFI traction control the car will still be scary but in a good way, ie scary fast hehe :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
OP, your OEM diff should not be making noise.. Definitely drain the fluid and inspect it for any particles. As others mentioned also inspect your RTAB's (are you using OEM or poly?) as torn bushings will cause issues under load. Also have you had a recent alignment (post camber/toe) and what tire pressure are you running in the rear? With your power level the NT05's should be getting traction in 2nd gear and up so something is definitely off with your car.

I would attribute that mostly to your tires ;) If I recall you were running Falken FK452's? With your car you should be running an extreme performance summer tire at a minimum (AD08, RE11, NT05, etc..) when on the street. With a proper set of tires and the ProEFI traction control the car will still be scary but in a good way, ie scary fast hehe :)
It definitely will not hook in second gear on full kill with those tires, but I agree with your assessment to check camber as well. Original diff on that car so it might be about time.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never used the HPF tc. It wasn't quite what I expected. I think you are better off running no TC and just learning the cars tendencies. At least you know it will always kick out to the right. lol. But I agree, I would check the diff first and maybe upgrade to an OS Giken to see if that helps. The rtabs should be fine on that car.

The ProEfi tc is supposed to be one of the best setups available. I have heard of people pulling out Racelogic to run the ProEfi tc which is saying something.
Hey thanks for the input guys. Yea I've driven it without traction control and the car just flys, which is why I decided to keep at least one form of traction control on (HPF). I'll have the diff oil changed to see if that helps any, and if it still is making noises then I'll have the diff checked and maybe changed to OS Giken. ProEFI is starting to sound real good right now as far as traction goes lol. I don't know how you stage 3 and 4's do it, 2.5 is already scary fast... :bow:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

RTAB's are fine last time I checked, and the car was recently aligned by BMW as well. As far as tire pressure, I would have to check on that. I'm definitely going to have the diff oil changed next week and see where that gets me. Oh and my car doesn't hook until upper 3rd gear lol, I think that's normal though with all this power.. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
How much will the OS Gikken help? I am glad I had one installed. I have not used it yet, however...soon.

Wont MT DR's help? My 275/40X17's may not hook up in first gear, but should be OK for second on up, yes?

If I have HPF traction control and I want it to work, do I have to go through the elaborate steps shown in the HPF video?
I never understood why just pushing the button once to turn the OEM BMW DSC OFF, was not sufficient. Why not?

Once the BMW DSC is off, then the HPF Traction Control can take over, YES?

I think I even PM'd someone from HPF on this matter but still did not understand their answer. Can someone elaborate?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much will the OS Gikken help? I am glad I had one installed. I have not used it yet, however...soon.

Wont MT DR's help? My 275/40X17's may not hook up in first gear, but should be OK for second on up, yes?

If I have HPF traction control and I want it to work, do I have to go through the elaborate steps shown in the HPF video?
I never understood why just pushing the button once to turn the OEM BMW DSC OFF, was not sufficient. Why not?

Once the BMW DSC is off, then the HPF Traction Control can take over, YES?

I think I even PM'd someone from HPF on this matter but still did not understand their answer. Can someone elaborate?
Well I'm looking at only running 19's, and heard NT05s are my best bet. As far as turning the DSC off, I never understood that whole process either because my car doesn't do what Chris's video did. You just press it once to turn it off and I don't know if it's all the way off as it is. Horsepowerfreaks told me you have to actually hold the button for 10 seconds but when I do that, the DCS just turns back on again instead of turning off completely.. Don't really understand either... Btw, if turned on HPF traction is always on.. but the factory DSC will kick in first if that's also on... If that makes any sense..

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Well I'm looking at only running 19's, and heard NT05s are my best bet. As far as turning the DSC off, I never understood that whole process either because my car doesn't do what Chris's video did. You just press it once to turn it off and I don't know if it's all the way off as it is. Horsepowerfreaks told me you have to actually hold the button for 10 seconds but when I do that, the DCS just turns back on again instead of turning off completely.. Don't really understand either... Btw, if turned on HPF traction is always on.. but the factory DSC will kick in first if that's also on... If that makes any sense..
Nitto NT05 are fine tires. I actually have a set of them in 265x18 for my fronts.

But you are one tiny letter off from "best bet".....an "r". Yes, an ""r". There are a lot of guys that love the NT05r for their incredible grip. Some say as good or batter than Mickey Thompson DR's. Others say MT's are better.
What ever you preference we are talking about the NT05R, not the NT05. They are night and day apart as far as grip. The "r"s have a tread rating of 000, LOL. They have hardly any rain groove and are down right dangerous in a heavy down pour. Expect as little as 4to 5K miles out of these tires. But GRIP they will! Some get as many as 8k miles from these! Not many.

Nitto NT05's are merely a nice grippy street summer tire right up there with so many other tires. They will spin quite easliy since they are miles from being a drag radial. Google the two tires separately and read the owners experiences with them. Buy the NT05R's for Drag Radial type grip.

As far as the DSC, well I will find out on my own, I suppose.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I have an 03.5 and I don't need to hold the DSC button...push on, push off. I believe the HPF car is an 01. I also don't go sideways when I loose traction unless I'm in a turn or I hold it for longer than 2,3 seconds when loosing traction. I have OEM diff, powerflex subframe busings (they suck) and powerflex rtabs iirc.

I had 275/30/19 NT05's and recently upgraded to 275/35/19 NT05's and the fit better, ride the same and slightly better traction. I hooked 3rd gear today with pump/meth @ 740rwhp...was very surprised. I will always hook 3rd running pump @ 620rwhp. I have only tried the stock conti's, NT05's and 305/35/18 MTs...to me the MT's felt squirrelly at speed and my NT05's feel planted always. I have OEM suspension atm so take that into account. When I was running my MT's my camber was untouched so only utilized about 70% of the tread...so if I adjusted my camber I'm sure it would've felt better. I do have the turner adjustable camber arms for what its worth.

Thats all the personal experience I have for ya, do what you want with it ;) IMO you cannot beat the NT05 in price per performance...and it's bloody awesome in the rain and decent on the track. I'm also running a 245/35/19 in the front atm and my cruise control works with the upsize.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I have an 03 and iirc i just pressed the button on/off and that was that. It didn't come back on unless I turned the car off, or intentionally turned it back on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts