E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current Setup
Performance: HPF Stage 2.5 - 680rwhp Race/Meth
Front Tires: Nitto NT05 245/35/19 *(IIRC)*
Rear Tires: Nitto NT05 275/30/19
Wheels: 19" VMR VB3's
Suspension: Stock
Brakes: Brembo 6pot 380mm Front and 355 Rears
Dry Performance: Hook 2nd gear sometimes when >20'C...3rd gear always >20'C. Colder than 10'C 3rd gear hook sometimes and 2nd/1st never.
Wet Driving: Awesome over huge puddles and heavy rain while at speed >60mph.
Treadwear: (200) Estimate I can probably get 10,000km out of the rears max with 70% Normal driving...no track. Fronts mabe 15,000km

I am considering new rear tires at the moment...I love my NT05's but I feel I need a little traction boost...3rd gear hook is what I'm wanting while driving around in Pump/Meth mode on Stage 2.75. Keep in mind I want a tire that performs good during heavy rain. I'll have MT's for drag.

Considering Toyo R888's in 295/30/19 or 305/30/19. From what I've heard the 295's should fit...I would imagine the 305's will need a tiny bit of fender roll.

What are your HPF street tire setups?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
i think your going to have a hard time finding everyday tires that hook 3rd on pump and meth without rolling/pulling the fenders. i havent found a set yet.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i think your going to have a hard time finding everyday tires that hook 3rd on pump and meth without rolling/pulling the fenders. i havent found a set yet.
So far very pleased with my NT05's hooking race/meth in 3rd when warm...if only they came in a 295...

Ya I don't think I want to use MT's for my driving tire until Derek puts at least 10k on a set with lots of mixed weather driving :rofl:

But yes those MT's are going to be in my arsenal after mfest. Gotta keep in mind I've been known to put on 1800km only stopping for gas :evil:

How many kms did you put on your MT's before they died Rob?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
NT-01's would be one of the few tires with better grip than NT05's in that size, and they are unfortunately downright awful in the rain. The R888's may work a bit better, but you may just want the traction control system. It works great to keep the wheels from spinning.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Here is what I got.. plus I got some 265/35/18 Toyo R888's for regular driving.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have had wonderful experience with my DUNLOPs but i was 450HP AA SC'd back then. now with my 650 hp+ HPF stg 2.75 I am trying Vred's 295-30-19s in the Rear ;-)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If your looking for something that will be your daily tire with rain driving, I wouldnt get the R888's. The MT's are more stable in the rain over the R888's Ive got about 5k on my MT's right now and i have not gone thru 1mm of rubber yet, they come with a tad over 6. About 1/5th over. They have only seen 1 strip day where I ran pump only and went about 5 times. They Have been from tx to az and back. My regular tires are just Invo's. I dont care for pure traction as I dont drive like a mad man from day to day and traction just isnt what im worried about, they do still however have a good amount of traction in the dry, are quiet and have awesome traction in the rain. they are 295/35/18's

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If your looking for something that will be your daily tire with rain driving, I wouldnt get the R888's. The MT's are more stable in the rain over the R888's Ive got about 5k on my MT's right now and i have not gone thru 1mm of rubber yet, they come with a tad over 6. About 1/5th over. They have only seen 1 strip day where I ran pump only and went about 5 times. They Have been from tx to az and back. My regular tires are just Invo's. I dont care for pure traction as I dont drive like a mad man from day to day and traction just isnt what im worried about, they do still however have a good amount of traction in the dry, are quiet and have awesome traction in the rain. they are 295/35/18's
Agreed. If you want traction in the rain, stay away from the R888!!! I am gonna do the Nt05 next for a daily driver tire. I would say go with the MT's for sure if you want traction. I was hooking in second on Race and meth (when it was warm enough obviously) in my stg 2 and they havent scared me once yet while in the rain. All of this awesomness and they are only 265/40/18 :thumbsup: GL

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I ran r888 when I got caught in a snow storm moving back to WA. The Hpf traction control saved my azz. In the rain however it was insanely dangerous, Seattle rain and those tires was a bad combo.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With my current NT05's and HPF traction control I've had very few scary moments in the wet or cold...might just get 275/35/19 this time. What are these Vred tires?

·
Registered
36 Posts
With my current NT05's and HPF traction control I've had very few scary moments in the wet or cold...might just get 275/35/19 this time. What are these Vred tires?
Im currently HPF stage 2.5 with traction control and im using NT05's 275/35/19 no complaints at all as my daily drive tire love em......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

What are these Vred tires?
You guys Tell me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWMTiXPbLQ

I am in Afghanistan right now so i can not visit any streaming media sites. a few buddies stationed in Germany and england have been raving about them so i got a set for my Rears. 295-30-19s

i got a set for my wife's Audi Q7 and she does not like them cause there too low for her taste but there thread pattern is sickly aggressive.

Can't wait to try them with my new HPF stg 2.75 POWER :evil:

there Reviews have been crazy. i will try them as soon as I get back unless anyone else is ready to?

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?UsersessionID=22072566&BandgroepID=1&BandtypeID=3

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have had wonderful experience with my DUNLOPs but i was 450HP AA SC'd back then. now with my 650 hp+ HPF stg 2.75 I am trying Vred's 295-30-19s in the Rear ;-)
your car + veredistein (however you spell them) tires = No traction, waste of money if you want traction. IMO I wouldnt waste money on those tires unless you want something to just around in. Get a real tire with real traction for the real power you have :thumbsup:

When I went from 285/30/19 to 275/35/19 it made a good bit off difference. Traction off the line and from a roll was much improved. That little bit of extra sidewall must help a ton.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts