E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have the most miles on the hpf stage 2.5, I have put 18,000 miles on it pretty quick since the build in November. Quick update car runs perfect.....end of update..lol kidding

Haha ok I have had a couple of small issues with the car since I went to stage 2.5. Ripped my subframe out due to a dip in the road and hitting it at full boost, also snapped my left axel.

My hpf clutch died prematurely. cause is unknown, but I suspect that my smg pump having 130,000 miles on it may have led to that failure.

check valve for the oil line to my turbo was stuck open, quick 20 minute repair.

I drive my car every day in daily Seattle crappy traffic, car runs like it's stock. no idle search, misfires ect... Very happy with the kit.

· Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check valve was free and I swapped out the check valve in about 20 minutes. I should have did the HPF subframe reinforcement along time ago, I waited and I shouldn't have. How much HPF charged me for the sub frame reinforcement....I think, so don't qoute me. $800.00 to do the sub frame. I know they had a group buy a while ago, do a search and I am sure Chris will honor it. The clutch I paid for but did not have to pay for the labor, even though it was my smg pump that appears to have caused the wear issue. The clutch issue just appeared and was fixed, the clutch had 16,000 miles on it when it failed. There was a lot of material left but with the smg being so picky it would not learn in with the clutch having problems. Had I had a manual 6 speed it would not have been a problem. My supra would nuke a clutch with in 10,000 miles on it.

· Registered
3,787 Posts
I'm interested too, as these small issued could have cost like 5 grand or more. I guess that's relatively low compared to the cost of the car and kit, but still.
Good questions.

For those that are considering FI (superchargers or turbochargers), there are two very important costs to consider.

Clutches and Clutch Longevity

Aftermarket clutches have a significantly shorter lifespan that the original factory clutch. As supercharged or turbocharged M3's make more and more power the need for an aftermarket clutch becomes a necessity. The coefficient of friction of aftermarket clutch disks are significantly higher than that of organic factory clutch disks to hold the added torque a supercharger or turbocharger produces. As a result more material comes off with every engagement. SMG's are particularly abusive on these clutch disks as the shifts are considerably quicker. Each shift removes more material from the clutch disk on average than a non-SMG. Expect to see a lifespan ranging from 15,000 to 30,000 miles on an aftermarket clutches. Depending on driving habits, racing events, and general issues such as SMG pumps, accumulators, ball pins, etc. it could be considerably less or even more than that.

E46 Subframes and Tearing

If you have an E46, you may have heard of the BMW recall on the subframe. We are seeing more and more subframes tear on factory BMW E46's. Whether or not you choose to install a supercharger or turbocharger you should inspect your subframe to see the tell tale signs of a tear. These show up as a small line in the metal going away from where the rear subframe mounts to the chassis. We have a great deal on the subframe re-inforcement for those that want to ship their cars to us. We often do this at the same time we install turbo systems for people.

Oil Check Valves

The HPF turbo system comes with an upper oil check valve. This prevents oil from draining from the filter into the turbo after the car is shut off. If the check valve fails (which is rare) you will see smoke out the tailpipe immediately following startup and the smoke will go away once you drive it. If this occurs call us and we'll send you a new one for free. Swapping them out takes about 5-10 minutes.

Axle Strength

To date, we know of two axles that have failed. One in TazaM3's AA turbo'd M3 during a launch, and one in ForcefedM3's M3 when the suspension was fully extended (changing the drive angle) when one wheel was forced into an awkward position due to a fault in the road. There are currently over 500 supercharged M3's and over 70 turbo'd M3's running without incident with up to 1000+rwhp without breaking axles. We don't recommend replacing or changing the rear axles for power levels below 1000rwhp. When people start setting up the rear ends on these M3's for drag racing then we may find what the limits are of the stock rear axles. Until you do, they will hold up to just about whatever abuse you decide to put them through.

If you have any questions about any of these, feel free to email [email protected] and he can answer any questions you might have.

Take care,
Chris.

· Registered
210 Posts
Axle Strength

To date, we know of two axles that have failed. One in TazaM3's AA turbo'd M3 during a launch, and one in ForcefedM3's M3 when the suspension was fully extended (changing the drive angle) when one wheel was forced into an awkward position due to a fault in the road. There are currently over 500 supercharged M3's and over 70 turbo'd M3's running without incident with up to 1000+rwhp without breaking axles. We don't recommend replacing or changing the rear axles for power levels below 1000rwhp. When people start setting up the rear ends on these M3's for drag racing then we may find what the limits are of the stock rear axles. Until you do, they will hold up to just about whatever abuse you decide to put them through.
My axle failed going slightly uphill on a 1-2 S6 shift at redline on pump + meth. I got really good traction on that launch, barely any wheelspin. That was 2 or 3 weeks after the kit was installed. I don't go hard on 1-2 shifts anymore...

My stage 1 clutch failed fairly early (SMG), but that's got to do with the type of driving that the car gets. The Stage 2 clutch seems to be holding up well.

I had my alternator die on me, and when the car starts running out of battery power, the oil pump dumps a ridiculous amount of oil into the exhaust. It took a good summer of hard driving to clear out the crap from the muffler lol.

Right now I'm battling a weird limp mode where no lights come on, but the factory ECU limits the car to ~10% throttle. I think we've got it narrowed down to damaged O2 sensor wiring. Can't really fix and test it till the snow stops.

· Registered
3,787 Posts
My axle failed going slightly uphill on a 1-2 S6 shift at redline on pump + meth. I got really good traction on that launch, barely any wheelspin. That was 2 or 3 weeks after the kit was installed. I don't go hard on 1-2 shifts anymore...

My stage 1 clutch failed fairly early (SMG), but that's got to do with the type of driving that the car gets. The Stage 2 clutch seems to be holding up well.

I had my alternator die on me, and when the car starts running out of battery power, the oil pump dumps a ridiculous amount of oil into the exhaust. It took a good summer of hard driving to clear out the crap from the muffler lol.

Right now I'm battling a weird limp mode where no lights come on, but the factory ECU limits the car to ~10% throttle. I think we've got it narrowed down to damaged O2 sensor wiring. Can't really fix and test it till the snow stops.
You're still dealing with snow??? That's a bummer. Let us know if you need any help battling the limp mode. I'm about to release a 14 hour by 7 day phone support number for turbo kit customers. :)

Chris.

· Registered
210 Posts
You're still dealing with snow??? That's a bummer. Let us know if you need any help battling the limp mode. I'm about to release a 14 hour by 7 day phone support number for turbo kit customers. :)

Chris.
Yea, it's depressing. This was on Thursday outside my house.

Today was better, but my P-Zeros can't handle even a thin layer of snow/ice.

I'll give you a call if we get stuck, I think we're OK for now. Just have to wait out the weather.

· Registered
1,882 Posts

Chris.
That is awesome Chris, good to know. I think you meant to say 24 hour by 7 day, instead of 14 hour by 7 day support :thumbsup:

I'll give you a call if we get stuck, I think we're OK for now. Just have to wait out the weather.
Holy crap man, that is INSANE!

· Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea, it's depressing. This was on Thursday outside my house.

That sucks so bad!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.