E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend Bryan stopped by tonight to install my HPF oil cooler. It was suprisingly easy. It took about an hour to do the install. The HPF oilcooler bolts to the bottom of the intercooler and swaybar bolts. I'm going to do a video on my oil temps after I go over the cascade mountains this spring, my car gets a work out and oil temps go up.

Let's get started!

Remove this bolt, use a pan to catch the small bit of oil that leaks out!

Here is the oil cooler ready to come out!

Oil cooler is removed!

New HPF oil cooler bolted in!

Hose bolted into the oil cooler!

Took under an hour, VERY easy to do. DIY difficulty scale 1-10 it is about a 4

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Holly giant pictures batman!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ive been thinking I might need this come summer time. Let me know how you like it after you get your wheels.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
A 4??? thats pretty high, I give the turbo kit itself a 5...lol Id give it a 2!! After driving thru 0 to Neg 10 degree weather, hell even 20 degree weather, and my car never going over 165 Degrees for the oil, id be scared to drive with this oil cooler in cold weather. or does someone have any info on this or has done it yet with the new oil cooler? does it get any cooler then 165-175 on the oil temp with this time in super cold weather?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 4??? thats pretty high, I give the turbo kit itself a 5...lol Id give it a 2!! After driving thru 0 to Neg 10 degree weather, hell even 20 degree weather, and my car never going over 165 Degrees for the oil, id be scared to drive with this oil cooler in cold weather. or does someone have any info on this or has done it yet with the new oil cooler? does it get any cooler then 165-175 on the oil temp with this time in super cold weather?
Chris and Jason drove their cars with me when it was high 30's low 40's and the oil temps stayed fine!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah it stays in the sweet spot man. There were couple of places that I drove through in Cali where it was in low 20s. Only time started to look like was going to go below was when I was coasting down a mountain. Idling at 60 to 70 mph. But as soon as I put it back in gear the temp would go back up a little.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Holy crap that is retarded easy. Oil cooler is in my to-do list, so glad to see it won't be a headache to do. Thanks for posting this up.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy crap that is retarded easy. Oil cooler is in my to-do list, so glad to see it won't be a headache to do. Thanks for posting this up.
No problem. I was suprized at how easy it was!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Cool install. :D Love that oil cooler.

·
Registered
331 Posts
M3 Oil pump housing has a thermostat that block the oil flow to the cooler below the normal operation engine temperature. This feature is to reduce cold start period. So even with a cooler with the size of a radiator, it will be the same as OE system till the thermostat open the flow to the cooler.

The thermostat blocks the oil flow by 20%. My car only has the oil thermostat deleted, and i never seen the temps to go above 210. The only downside is that cold start period it takes a bit more, but when it reaches the normal engine temp (~190) it stays there pretty solid. But the real test will be made this summer.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yeah Agreed! It is very nice looking

·
www.horsepowerfreaks.com
117 Posts
Hey Guys, we've only got 5 of these oil coolers left on the shelf! With Mfest coming up in sunny Las Vegas these will be continuing to fly off the shelf. Get with your HPF rep or myself to get one ordered! Feel free to driect any questions to [email protected]

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My cars all ready for Mfest..

New wheels...check
New oil cooler...check
New seats...check
New intercooler...check

1 - 16 of 16 Posts