BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,061 Posts
Pumps fail. End of story.

You can replace while the current one is working or you can wait for it to fail. If you wait for it to fail, I'd suggest keeping a new one with gasket in the car. The price is about double a tow, but you're going to get caught out somewhere, so you may as well have it. My plan is to keep all the usual replacement items on hand at all times. Not there yet, but working on it.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,730 Posts
Just a question if the windings were broken would banging on the pump be pointless as most windings i have seen are coated in something like laquer? Where as brushes are free moving/sprung.
No I don’t see how that would help with a broken/fried coil winding. That would help with scoring on the armature or (maybe) locked bearing.
When the pump is using a lot of amps because of wiring/electrical issues you can sometimes see arching at the connector on top of the fp.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,730 Posts
There’s often a backstory in these FP threads about being stranded. Unfortunately some posters neglect the prior info (that they divulged yrs past) that 1) they ran tank empty more than once just prior 2) entirely different model bmw that used different fuel pump and system AND that model had recall on wiring crimp. 3) during summer heatwave ran tank low

Fuel pumps can and do fail.
*just not for the sole reason that was pushed on this lone forum long ago.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts