BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 2003 325iT recently and have been working on it (Dr. gives a general checkup). I pulled out the back seat and checked if the fuel pump had been replaced. It was based on the evident.

Here is one way to check if the pump is near end of its life: turn on the dash hidden on-board display to show both fuel tanks capacity. If the right tank is much less than the left then time to change the pump as when it running weak it couldn't pull the fuel from left tank to the right tank leading to engine ran out of fuel while there is plenty of fuel in the left tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 2003 325iT recently and have been working on it (Dr. gives a general checkup). I pulled out the back seat and checked if the fuel pump had been replaced. It was based on the evident.

Here is one way to check if the pump is near end of its life: turn on the dash hidden on-board display to show both fuel tanks capacity. If the right tank is much less than the left then time to change the pump as when it running weak it couldn't pull the fuel from left tank to the right tank leading to engine ran out of fuel while there is plenty of fuel in the left tank.
I’ll do that and see what’s there.
I have an after market pump.
From the time I installed, my gauge has never been accurate.
I’ve run out of gas twice when the gauge is on quarter.
Not sure if pump is weak or something spills have been done.
Have filled tank once or twice but still no change.
And I think even the estimated mileage has never been as before.
It’s on the lower side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
There wss a good discussion of this about a month or so ago. The role of the pump and the transfer tube. But yes, monitor tank levels with OBC display. My pump just started cutting out on the highway when it expired.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
3,631 Posts

In your case it could also be a recent pump replacement (new to you car) and the transfer jet tube is incorrectly hooked up, no?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
In your case it could also be a recent pump replacement (new to you car) and the transfer jet tube is incorrectly hooked up, no?
Hooked up to what? I changed my pump and was unaware of this tube being in there. How does one get at it?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,730 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2003 325i is fine with a new replacement pump done by PO. No issues at all.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
3,631 Posts
Just being technical.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,730 Posts
But but I thought ALL fuel pumps would fail at 7 years/80k miles mark?? geez this forum had some crazy posters. that nonsense thread was 2012, fun to look back at that and facepalm.

·
Registered
10,207 Posts

My X5 (E53) acted like it was out of gas when the tank was full (I filled it the day before and had gone less than 20 miles). My car was still sloshing fuel over the transmission hump.

·
Registered
129 Posts
But but I thought ALL fuel pumps would fail at 7 years/80k miles mark?? geez this forum had some crazy posters. that nonsense thread was 2012, fun to look back at that and facepalm.
This is what happens in Internet forums, people are eager to post bad experiences while the rest tend to stay silent. We need to apply a correction factor, maybe 80-20? :)

The original fuel pump in my 2005 330xi failed very recently at 164K miles. It was a sudden death, car ran fine until parked and then it wouldn't start. I would not rely on warning signs before they die. I thought I would see signs, but no...!

I did heed the advice from this forum and bought one to have handy. I got super lucky mine died in my driveway and I had everything I needed to do a quick, 45min swap. May everyone's fuel pump die that way when it's time.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,228 Posts
Good lord leave it in the past.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 760 K km
1,434 Posts
My pump died at 306K km, with absolutely no any symptoms of its fail. I just stopped the car and couldn't start anymore. What I say, you might see no any symptoms, and therefore no any difference at tanks level, so such monitoring would be inconclusive.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The point is, the pump, like the expansion tank, is going to fail. When it fails, the car is out of commission. If you have to get towed to a dealer, it is going to hurt.
With the pump, I had read that 100k was a reasonable expected life - after that, you're on borrowed time. Mine failed right on time at 105k. Others report over 200k. Comparing such data is pretty much meaningless: What matters is your level of risk tolerance for having the car just stop, with little or no warning. Perhaps in rush hour on the freeway in the rain. So if you're OK with that, by all means keep driving.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The point is, the pump, like the expansion tank, is going to fail. When it fails, the car is out of commission. If you have to get towed to a dealer, it is going to hurt.
With the pump, I had read that 100k was a reasonable expected life - after that, you're on borrowed time. Mine failed right on time at 105k. Others report over 200k. Comparing such data is pretty much meaningless: What matters is your level of risk tolerance for having the car just stop, with little or no warning. Perhaps in rush hour on the freeway in the rain. So if you're OK with that, by all means keep driving.
No questions, simply no point to wait till if fails. I just didnt know it could happen at all, till it did)).
So I replace them every 200K km since.

·
Registered
635 Posts

It's as if you don't know how easy it is to use a fuel pressure gauge.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It's as if you don't know how easy it is to use a fuel pressure gauge.
Well, unless you gonna drive with that gauge stuck on your windshield.
You might not have any of symptoms at all; yet one day it just stops. So all those monitorings and pressure metering are good for diagnostics, and could help in case the problem isn't intermittent. Preventive replacement, as I could see it, is pretty much only option to be safe.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well, unless you gonna drive with that gauge stuck on your windshield.
You might not have any of symptoms at all; yet one day it just stops. So all those monitorings and pressure metering are good for diagnostics, and could help in case the problem isn't intermittent. Preventive replacement, as I could see it, is pretty much only option to be safe.
PM doesn't require diagnosis. The entire principle behind PM is you replace a part before it goes faulty. There is nothing to diagnose. All PM requires is you take an existing part out and put a new one in on a just-in-case basis. The OP is describing an elaborate and, frankly, rather pointless exercise when all that is required is to attach a pressure gauge to the fuel system an read the pressure. A simple task that requires no speculation. If you haven't got a pressure gauge you buy one.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts