BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Touch it - if it feels soft it is not leather. Real leather seats in E46 are very hard/tough (meaning high quality top grain cowhide).

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Touch it - if it feels soft it is not leather. Real leather seats in E46 are very hard/tough (meaning high quality top grain cowhide).
you can also tell by the door panels. leather seats come with leather door panels.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Your telling me.
The leather in my 330i is CRAP. It's absolute rubbish. My Dad's Mazda has softer seats with more supple leather. Sure it'll last forever, but you won't enjoy it. I'd rather MB Tex.

And the seats are so flat, supportless and cheap. Never had a car with such uncomfortable seats. Despite all the adjustment it's impossible to stay comfortable. I took a Mitsubishi Lancer on a long trip recently and it was considerably more comfortable.
Neeeed Sporttt Seattts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm puzzled. It seems to take an expert to tell when the seats are not leather, leatherette seems to last longer, and leather costs more. What's the advantage to having leather?

·
Banned
1,080 Posts
I can't believe this thread is back. Why is it so hard for people to tell between leather and letherette.

It is obviuos is day when you look at it. Looks different, feels different, heck even smells different.
excellent post. ya gotta be a m0r0n not to be able to tell the diff between leather & leatherette.

PS. I have a local bridge to sell you.

·
Banned
1,080 Posts
^ another 16yr old who cant tell the difference between real leather & leatherette.

here's a thought...paypal me $1000 & I'll tell u the difference.......

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I'm puzzled. It seems to take an expert to tell when the seats are not leather, leatherette seems to last longer, and leather costs more. What's the advantage to having leather?
You can tell all of your friends you have a leather interior. High class sh!t, yo.

I had pleather in my Audi. To this day anybody who has been in my A4 and my E46 says "Wow, the inside of your A4 looked so much better."

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Absolutely nothing in the E46... worst fvcking leather ever. The stuff in the Ms is better, as is the stuff in later models (E90, E60, F10, etc)

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,530 Posts
First and foremost, PREMIUM Pkg does NOT promise leather. SPORTS pkg does NOT promise leather.
YES, you can tell by looking at it!:)
First, Take the basic front seat. There is a fold in the LEATHER. leatherette does not have this fold. Please examine the difference between the two photos. The first one has leather, the second does not.

On a sport seat it is difficult to tell. The below picture does have leather. If looking to see if a car with sports pkg has leather, it is important that you look at the rear seats as it is much easier to tell on the back seat.
Real Leather Sport Coupe Seat
pleat is folded over and stiching

Coupe Sport Leatherette Seat
same pleat is not folded but one continious panel

81 - 95 of 95 Posts