E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at an used 01 m3 and i want to know the build date, how can i tell? the owner doesn't know where to look for the info.

also, what build date and after should i look for? i know before certain build date there is the blown engine problem?

thanks for the help!

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,524 Posts
search for "Hidden OBC Functions" on the forum, using that i think you can find the date the car was built...

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,505 Posts
call BMWNA and give them ur VIN.. they will be able to tell u ur build date..

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
I'm not a 100%, but isnt there info on the drivers side door area or on the body where the door latches? can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow thanks for the quick replies guys! so from what you guys said and i read, 1101 (week 11 2001???) is the ONLY week that has the problem?

if it happens to be that week, do you get extended warranty? or they just fix your engine for good? what did bmw do about it?

thanks a lot guys!

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,524 Posts
11 as in November of 2001 cars after that build date were affected, i dont know when it stops though...

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,524 Posts
if your car is in that time, i think they got warranty up to 100k miles...do a search for "M3 Warranty" there was a few posts on it...the engine blowing up thing was covered by bmw for the people that it happened to...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh crap, hahah.... so it's month, not week, sorry about that

thanks for the info, any other inputs are welcome :) off to my search :)

·
Crazy Boy
1,098 Posts
they say they give you a new engine but i have heard that you only get a remanufactured engine... i would still be weary of buying those cars.

·
Registered
915 Posts
inside drivers door jamb will have that as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts