E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I haven't been using the orbital buffer that I bought to spoil my car, because I can't figure out how to take wax off!

Putting on the wax is fine, but when I put on a new pad, and try to take the wax off, it only managed to move the wax around and to take off a little bit of the wax. It doesn't "pick up" the wax the way hand buffing does. So is it only possible to apply wax and not to buff the wax off with a orbital buffer? I was scared to press on the buffer too much because I didn't want to burn the paint.

Thanks for ur help

HaN-hAn

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Are you allowing the wax to dry?

Chip-

·
Registered
552 Posts
Proper techniques and tools

The best forum to understand how all this works is www.autopia.org since it is not just a E46 thing.

For the time being...

You need to get different pads -- one for swirl removal, one for polishing, another for waxing. If you are letting the wax cure and using a perfectly clean pad, you should be able to get the wax off with almost no pressure on the pad at all. You cannot use the same pad to apply and remove the wax -- the pad will be too loaded with wax and will just keep reapplying it rather than removing it.

However, I find that hand-finishing is the best at this stage -- a truly 100% soft cotton rag (like a light flannel, not terry cloth) working in straight lines is the best way to buff out the wax. Some people also like the highest quality microfiber detailing cloths, spritzed with a bit of detailing spray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.