E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to pop off the body molding trim? What tool do you use and will the trim bend in anyway? I want to have mine painted and figure it be cheaper to take it off myself since the body shop said it be to much to cover the whole car then sand it and paint. Would it be cheaper to buy new molding from dealer then paint and install? For all who already done this mod, how much did your body shop charge and how did they do the work? Thanks

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
I know for the sides you pretty much just get wour fingers under it and pull it off. Depending on how evenly you pull it off it wont bend that much. I'm not really sure on how to get the front and rear trim off though. Remove the bumber maybe?:dunno:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I will be doing the same thing next month so I would like to know any tips on molding removal also. My shop is charging me $200 to paint the moldings (no warranty though because they can't garranty due to the flexibility of the molding).

·
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad
932 Posts
Thread revival. No one ever answered this guy. I want to take off my trim to but I dont want to bend or break anything.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
i've done them..

all around the car.. just grab and and start yanking.. gently. No removing bumpers or anything, just get your fingers or a small screw driver under it and be gentle.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The trim is not hard to take off but you need to go slow and take a flat tip screw driver and pry at each of the attachment points very carefully. Dont worry about any of the push-in clips breaking because they are like 12 cents each from the dealer......the trick is to not cause bends in the molding itself while you pry. Otherwise it won't lay flat against the side of the car when you re-attach. A couple of my pieces do not fit snug against the car but it is not really noticeable (of course I notice it but no one else does). One more tip......remove any broken clips from the molding before you get it painted because if you wait until after then you might cause the paint to crack when you try and pry the clips off of the molding.

Attachments

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was an old post... my trim been painted while ago...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts