E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 330xi
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After messing around with a new chinese radiator puller fan that I didn't like, I finally I found a good condition Bosch Gen 2 on ebay, for a good price.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wheel Automotive design

I read @BMW-North 's radiator fan guide and he recommends to open up the module and motor and coat connectors in RTV and Motor parts in silicon grease. I was wondering if somebody has more pictures or and/or a full length description of the process of doing that. It seems that I have to be careful when opening up the motor for instance, and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks,
-fana

·
Registered
2001 330xi
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I just need some more advice on how to proof the module with RTV for instance. Just open up and smother with RTV?

Sent from my M2103K19PG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 330xi
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump, lol. any advice on retoring an old OE fan? Looking for more of DIY instructions rather than just slap RTV on it (where exactly etc). Or does anybody have the working links from BMWNorth's fan guide?
Thanks,
fana

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,116 Posts
I bought a new 'cheaper' fan and covered it with rtv where there were openings for wires or just it looked like water could get in. I didn't open up the control module.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,116 Posts
You mean at the motor, right? Underneath the little plastic clip where the wires from the module attach to?
And then just put RTV there generously?
thanks
It was years ago...so wherever I saw a possible point of water infiltration, I rtv'd it...on the control module box and on the motor. Poor car only lived a few years afterwards, so I don't know how/if it made a difference. Fan is so easy to get to, though, so if I needed a new $120 part every few years coz it was crap, no big deal. :)

·
Registered
2001 330xi
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was years ago...so wherever I saw a possible point of water infiltration, I rtv'd it...on the control module box and on the motor. Poor car only lived a few years afterwards, so I don't know how/if it made a difference. Fan is so easy to get to, though, so if I needed a new $120 part every few years coz it was crap, no big deal. :)
Great, thanks for your input
-fana

Sent from my M2103K19PG using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts