BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that some people are buying these Carbon Fiber creation kits and molding their own carbon fiber parts. Does anyone know much about this?? If so, Is it hard to work with and who sells the kits?

·
Registered
298 Posts
website?

Where can we get the folia kit?

·
Registered
298 Posts
nevermind...

foliatec.com

DUH! :D

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it the "CARBON-DesignLook" on their website?? If so, then this seems as if it's some type of film that looks like Carbon Fiber that you tuck under your current door trims to make it look like CF???????

Does this sound about right :dunno: :dunno:

Does anyone have this on their car or use their product before? If so, please post some pictures and/or tell us about it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
BeamerDaddy2001 said:
Is it the "CARBON-DesignLook" on their website?? If so, then this seems as if it's some type of film that looks like Carbon Fiber that you tuck under your current door trims to make it look like CF???????

Does this sound about right :dunno: :dunno:

Does anyone have this on their car or use their product before? If so, please post some pictures and/or tell us about it.
Haven't used it, but that sure is what it looks like. A wee bit ricey. :thumbdwn:

·
The Achiever
1,778 Posts
i've done some extensive research on doing your own CF stuff... it is VERY hard to do and get a good shine and keep the weave even looking. There are several epoxy and resin options and usually a clear coat from a body shop is needed for a great shine... its not easy. You need a lot of good tools, a good space to work w/, a good pocket book and a lot of patience...

you just need practice... alot. I'm about to start my own project soon... anything w/ molds is not worth the time or money... let the big guys do that. But if you wanna cover something in CF yourself, give it a try.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i agree with playinJ30, it's a doable thing, but it's gonna take a lot of practice and pulling of hair to get it to be perfect!

by the way, the foliatec kit is a "carbon-look" decal sheet that isn't real and looks ugly!:thumbdwn:

they don't have any of the real carbon fiber sheet sets on ebay right now, but there usually is, if you ask me again, i check for yoU!

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
I have a friend in cali who has been practicing with making CF and perfecting it... he is sending me a sample and if all goes well i will be getting some CF interior trim for a really good deal.

so YES it is def. possible, just have to have the resources and the time to make it happen.

-brendan

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
As playinJ30 said all it takes is practice. I saw some guys on audiworld that made some sick looking stuff at home. Again practice, practice, practice and the materials are not cheap. I might recommend trying fiberglass first as the two are similar.

Tim

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Unless you have access to an Autoclave, the only way making carbon fiber parts is DIY is if you cold cure it and then it's no stronger than fiberglass :sad: With that said, there are plenty of places that will sell you the carbon fiber weave if you're set on doing it, but make sure you buy the expensive resin too or it will discolor and look like @zz.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
hmm, i work with a lagre autoclave at my work!i'm not sure how you can "cure" peices in an autoclave because it is a "steam" sterilizer, so the part will get all wet, although it does go up to 275 degrees...we do, however, have a heat sterilizer that "bakes" things at 174 degrees! is this what you meant?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Steve said:
Unless you have access to an Autoclave, the only way making carbon fiber parts is DIY is if you cold cure it and then it's no stronger than fiberglass :sad: With that said, there are plenty of places that will sell you the carbon fiber weave if you're set on doing it, but make sure you buy the expensive resin too or it will discolor and look like @zz.
I would guess that most of the parts that people would be making are just for looks anyways so using an autoclave would not be needed. Fiberglass when properly laid up is still plenty strong.

Tim

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
i have tried

bought yards and yards of CF, all the finest resins, best weave etc.

made a few things... but never presentable enough to put on my ride. Its an art form that requires a GREAT DEAL of perfection to make matching pieces to compare to my ACS and MST Wiesmann CF parts

In the end.... the fumes made me sick, the dust is enuff to kill a camel, ruined a few perfectly good OEM parts, and wasted a great deal of money w/ little to show for. It was a learning experience that taught to me to find a guy who has been doin custom CF for years. Just easier that way and prolly costs about the same by the time u perfect ur work. Custom CF is good stuff:D

·
JawKnee Motorsports
1,027 Posts
tim330i said:

I would guess that most of the parts that people would be making are just for looks anyways so using an autoclave would not be needed. Fiberglass when properly laid up is still plenty strong.

Tim
I believe fuel rail and ignition module covers (i.e., Dinan's) along with a CAI (again Dinan's) need to be autoclaved to withstand the high temps of the engine bay...

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
JawKnee said:

I believe fuel rail and ignition module covers (i.e., Dinan's) along with a CAI (again Dinan's) need to be autoclaved to withstand the high temps of the engine bay...
Not sure about carbon fiber that has not been autoclaved but the fiberglass on ECIS's intake holds up just fine in the engine bay.

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts