BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new 2004 330i. (woohoo!!! :) I love the car, but noticed one thing different than my previous car, a 2000 323i. Whenever I hit the Auto button on the climate control, it automatically turns on the A/C (air conditioning). My 323i never did this. Is there anyway to disable this new "feature"?

I can set the interior temp to anything (high or low), and it doesn't matter. The A/C always turns on when I hit Auto. For example, in the morning the car is probably 40 degrees inside. Even if I set the internal temp to 85, as soon as I hit the Auto button the A/C turns on. It's annoying. Nothing in the owner's manual mentions this "feature", but I'm hoping it is just another option that can be programmed away by the dealer. I don't even use the A/C in the summer very often, unless it's really hot or I want to defog the windows. In any event, *I* want to be the one that controls when the A/C is on...

I checked all the Car and Key Memory programming options I could find, and none of them looked like they addressed this....so maybe I'm stuck with it.

TIA,
Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like this is a new feature of the climate control system, this doesnt happen on my 01 330ci. I think this maybe BMW's solution to complaints about musty odor from the climate control systems. If u keep the a/c running all the time the musty odour isnt as noticable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the A/C automatically comes on to minimize the amount of humidity in the air as it recycles through the cabin, even though it does not blow actual cold air. My CooperS does the same thing with it's auto climate system.

·
XX
376 Posts
I rarely turn off my auto button, I just adjust the temp. Now I have the a/c snowflake button off (since its cooler) and it only turns on when I press the a/c button. I have an 03', don't know if its any different. This is regardless of what temp I set it to, when It get humid in the car, I still have to turn the a/c manualy.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have an 03 and my a/c automatically comes on when i start the car....i love this feature because why would you want stale air flowing in the car? Yuck...air conditioning doesnt neccisarily mean that the air will be cooled...why not leave it on?! also, there is a complete list of memory features on bmwnation.com

·
Registered
580 Posts
AC keeps the car dehumidified in hot or cold conditions and keeps your windows from fogging up. I think that in the Auto mode the AC is cycled and not cooling full-time. You can also adjust the center vent knob to fewer blue dots for less cool air output or even go to using the red dots if you want to bake your face.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just another data point: went to look at the new X3 yesterday at the dealer, and in the X3 I looked at, the "Auto" button does the same thing: it automatically turns on the A/C.

So maybe this is just something standard for 2004? Can anyone with a new 2004 3-Series confirm this behavior?

I guess it makes sense...the car can't automatically control the interior temp on a hot day without engaging the A/C.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
580 Posts
My April 2002 built 330Ci works that way on Auto setting but don't know when this feature was introduced or if all e46 with Climate Control work this way. I haven't seen one with the
manual style dials but I doubt if they work the same way.When I have the AC off and my winshield mists up I really love how fast one push of the defroster button blasts it all away!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't like it turning on automatically because the a/c compressor draws engine power...when you want to punch it, you now have to physically shut the a/c off for maximum acceleration.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The automatic A/C on is a programmable feature. I just picked up my 04 330i and when I asked about the programmable features, one of the techs was nice enough to take me back to the computer where they do all the programmable features. One of the listed options on the computer was for the A/C to automatically come on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts