E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
323iT - 323Cic
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before we begin, I highly recommend you follow @Bali Tutorial on how to install How to Install BMW Standard Tools, It will make the installation of ISTA+ so much easier!

--
Introduction (BEGINNERS GUIDE TO ISTA+)
What does ISTA stand for? ISTA is a workshop system that contains BMW AG Data and Information. ISTA stands for Integrated Service Technical Application. Way back when, during the initial development of this tool, BMW used DIS (Diagnostics Information System), and as the programs evolved and due to the nature of the file naming conventions utilized by BMW, the workshop system became known as Rheingold in the enthusiast world. Rheingold in actuality is the folder that contains the main application and data. Rheingold became ISTA-D (D stands for Diagnostics) and BMW’s programming application (not discussed in this document) used the same nomenclature, ISTA except with a P (for programming) or ISTA-P. This document only discusses ISTA+.

Eventually, based on the direction that the company is taking, ISTA-D and ISTA-P for F-/I-/G-/Mini/RR series cars will be rolled up into ISTA+ for diagnostics AND programming. What does this mean? It means, that ISTAP will contain all chassis data until around August 2017, then BMW plans to phase out all BN2020 vehicle data in ISTA-P. So, ISTA-P will be used for Programming on E-series only and ISTA+ will be everything else.

Programming (or also called Service Data) in ISTA+ is required for programming F-/I-/G-/Mini/RR cars. BMW now provides these files as deltas to original programming (SDP) data.

ISTA+ can be used to diagnose ALL cars BUT program only F-/I-/G-/Mini/RR series cars and beyond. E Series Programming is not supported in ISTA+.

BMW officially breaks up the new ISTA+ application capability into two parts – Diagnostics and Programming. Following is a short breakup of each feature within ISTA+:

What is needed?
  • Windows 7, 8, 10, 11 laptop (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • You need at least 150GBs or more of space! (It will not run otherwise)
    • I have tested this with 145GBs of space, and ISTA did not want to launch
  • K+DCAN cable (I recommend the Pro K+DCAN Cable or Expert K+DCAN Cable from BimmerGeek)
    • Amazon/EBay K+DCAN Cables can be hit or miss
How to Install

I. Download the File

Download Here [Dropbox] (21.6GB Download)

Here is what's contained
Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Pattern

II. How to Install
(You do have the option of manual install, however the standalone installer works perfectly)

1. Double Click ista_standalone_installer_4.32.15.exe

Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Software

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

2. Make sure to select Edibas.ini (this is what your K+DCAN is using)
You can select create a desktop shortcut as-well (Highly Recommend)

Font Screenshot Rectangle Software Technology

3.You have the choice of to install SQLiteDBs de-DE 4.32.12
(In my case, I don't speak German, so I unselected it)
Rectangle Screenshot Font Software Technology

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

3. Click INSTALL (It will take a bit to install)

Once its completed, congrats you have installed ISTA+ 4.32.15 on your computer!

·
Registered
323iT - 323Cic
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
If the link does go down.. I will reupload somewhere else to make sure everyone can still grab it. I know its very frustrating trying to find a dl link for ISTA that is functional.

Notes

Install Location: It might be possible to install on a External SSD, however I have not tested it.

Can I Run This on a Mac or in a VM?
Yes! I have a 2015 MBP running Bootcamp (Windows 10) and I have never ran into issues. However, I am not sure if newer MacBook Pro's are compatible. It is a slight nightmare to setup if you are not too tech savy. I'd recommend sticking with a Windows 7, 8, 10, 11 laptop.

Troubleshooting

I was able to easily install according to directions above, but then I did have an error and ISTA wasn't able to connect to my E61

I needed to make a change to the ediabas.ini text file, and now it works perfectly

Here is a link to the discussion that offered this solution

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Regarding ISTA-P (E Chassis Programing)
- I do have the link to ISTA-P, and recently installed it on my laptop. HOWEVER, I have not tested it yet, so I won't post the link and install instructions until I confirmed it works.
I would also be interested in ISTA-P.

Many many thanks for sharing this!

Reactions: tbouchard991

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thank you very much for making this available, it helps so many of us out to have such resources and support on the forums.

I was able to easily install according to directions above, but then I did have an error and ISTA wasn't able to connect to my E61

I needed to make a change to the ediabas.ini text file, and now it works perfectly

·
Registered
323iT - 323Cic
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much for making this available, it helps so many of us out to have such resources and support on the forums.

Glad it worked out for you! I'll add that fix in the notes, thank you!

As for ISTA/P, Sorry for the delay! My last semester of University has been busy. I am hoping to have install instructions for ISTA/P around thanksgiving time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
after i installed ISTA then open app sent me this message
what can i must do ? plz
Failed to start ISTA.
Please make sure your ISTA configuration is valid.
In doubt reset any non standard ISTA configuration and reinstall ISTA.

·
Registered
281 Posts
after i installed ISTA then open app sent me this message
what can i must do ? plz
Failed to start ISTA.
Please make sure your ISTA configuration is valid.
In doubt reset any non standard ISTA configuration and reinstall ISTA.
If you can post pictures/screen captures of the error message(s) that may help

Do you have at least 150 Gigabytes of free space on your hard drive after downloading and installing the program?

What is needed?
  • Windows 7, 8, 10, 11 laptop (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • You need at least 150GBs or more of space! (It will not run otherwise)
    • I have tested this with 145GBs of space, and ISTA did not want to launch

·
Registered
2011 335i xDrive, 2003 325xi 5spd SOLD
1,305 Posts
FWIW, I was finally able to find time to test ISTA on my E90. Was able to connect to and scan the car but didn't do much more than that as I'm unfamiliar with the software. I have ISTA and BMW standard tools loaded on a 256gb SSD laptop running Windows 10 and after install I only have about 80 gigs free, works fine.

·
Registered
323iT - 323Cic
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, I was finally able to find time to test ISTA on my E90. Was able to connect to and scan the car but didn't do much more than that as I'm unfamiliar with the software. I have ISTA and BMW standard tools loaded on a 256gb SDD laptop running Windows 10 and after install I only have about 80 gigs free, works fine.
Correct!

--

Im not entirely sure why 4.32.15 won't launch with less then 150GBs. The folder size is 76.5GBs. I had an earlier version of ISTA 4.05 if i recall, and it launched fine with less then 100GBs.

Im currently running BootCamp on my 2015 MacBook Pro, and I had originally had 100GB's reserved for my Windows side, and it wasn't enough to launch 4.32.15, so I added a bit more space at like 146GBs and it still wasn't enough to launch. I ended up getting a 1TB NVMe SSD, and now I have enough space for both my MacOS and Windows 10, and all my programs for diagnostics and coding.

·
Registered
323iT - 323Cic
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
UPDATE

Both ISTA/P, and ISTA+ have been reuploaded to my Google Drive. (I have updated both posts to reflect the change)

The ISTA/P link has been added, and I am currently in the works of adding the instructions to the post. There is install instructions in the ZIP, however I feel like they are a bit mediocre!

Thank you for the support and patience!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts